[ecco-support] ECCO V4r4: Components of TFLUX

Emily E. Hayden haydenem at oregonstate.edu
Mon Sep 19 18:40:47 EDT 2022

Good afternoon,

I am working with ECCO to compute a mixed layer heat budget and its anomalies in the subpolar North Pacific, and I would like to assess what component of the total heat flux drives the majority of the observed surface forcing anomalies.

To do this, I would like to access each term that contributes to TFLUX. At this point, I believe I need EXFlh, EXFsh, EXFswnet, EXFlwnet, and oceFWflux; however, I am unsure if this covers all of the components. In particular, I think I still need the turbulent and conductive fluxes between the ocean and sea-ice/snow, but I am having trouble determining what these fields are called in the ECCO output files.

Is it possible to estimate TFLUX using monthly averaged fields of its components? If so, what fields do I need to do so?

Thank you!

Best,
--------
Emily E. Hayden
Ph.D. Student | College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences
National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellow
haydenem at oregonstate.edu