[ecco-support] About raw uncertainty fields of v4r4

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 16 11:48:35 EST 2022

Hi Yongsu,

One way to obtain raw uncertainties for both data constraints and controls is to remove the grid scaling factor (gamma) from the uncertainties actually used in V4r4’s optimization. Gamma is the square root of fractional grid area defined as
gamma(I,j) = sqrt(A(I,j))/max(A(i,j)), where i,j are grid x- and y-index; A is grid cell area (as in RAC.data from model outpu); sqrt is square-root; max is maximum. Raw uncertainties (e_raw) then can be derived from uncertainties (e) that are actually used in optimization (such as those specified in data.ecco) by using the following equation,
e_raw = e*gamma.
The actual uncertainties (e) are distributed as part of V4r4’s ancillary data https://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/dataset/ECCO_L4_ANCILLARY_DATA_V4R4.

The raw uncertainties were originally produced by different from a few institutions. That information can be found in V4r4’s synopsis document (https://ecco-group.org/docs/v4r4_synopsis.pdf). Since some of the raw uncertainties for V4r4 are the same as those for V4r3, additional information can be found in V4r3’s synopsis document (https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/Release3/doc/v4r3_summary.pdf) and data document (https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/Version4/Release3/doc/v4r3_data.pdf). In particular, V4r3’s synopsis describes the rationale behind splitting costs to time-mean & time-varying parts and applying area-scaling factor, as well as how to derive actual uncertainties used in optimization from raw uncertainties.

For next release (V4r5), we will include instructions about how to generate uncertainties used in optimization from raw uncertainties.

Best,
Ou Wang