[ecco-support] ECCOv4-py and XGCM Module Import Error Concern

Justin Campbell campbelljustin989 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:15:54 EST 2022

Hello support group,

My name is Justin Campbell; I have recently begun an appointment as a
research engineering associate with the University of Texas at Austin's
Oden Institute for Computational Sciences. I'm reaching out with regards to
errors that I'm encountering in importing both the ecco_v4_py and xgcm
modules.

1) ecco_v4_py

To install this package, I pulled an updated version of the package from
the repository and cloned into the project using  "git clone
https://github.com/ECCO-GROUP/ECCOv4-py.git ".Then, I used the following
snippet to tell the python interpreter where to find the package files and
import into the environment:

import sys
sys.path.append(
'/Users/jcam98/Desktop/Employment/Employment_Categories/Research/Data_Science/Computational_Research_in_Ice_and_Ocean_Systems/git_repos/ecco_v4_py/ECCOv4-py/ecco_v4_py'
)
import ecco_v4_py as ecco

When running this code, I receive an extended traceback error as shown in
the first attachment "traceback_error_1".

2) xgcm

In turn, I installed the xgcm module using the following code

git clone https://github.com/xgcm/xgcm.git
cd xgcm
python setup.py install

and I received a very similar traceback error as shown in
"traceback_error_2.png". Now, it is important to note that I am running
this code on a MacOS X operating system. Is it necessary to install these
packages and execute code using these packages on a Linux OS such as Debian
or Ubuntu? Please advise.

Best Regards,

Justin Campbell