[Crib-list] Fwd: VIRTUAL "CRIBB Seminar" -- Spk. Piotr Luszczek (Univ. of Tenessee) Friday, June 2, 2023 @ 12:00 Noon - 1:00 PM

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Jun 2 09:48:36 EDT 2023

R E M I N D E R . . .

   VIRTUAL...

           COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR
                               (CRIBB)

   ZOOM meeting info...

                    https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770

                    Meeting ID: 961 5504 2770

====================================

DATE:	Friday, June 2, 2023

TIME:	12:00 Noon - 1:00 PM

SPEAKER:  Piotr Luszczek  (University of Tennessee)

TITLE:    Mixed-precision algorithms: from ML to HPC

ABSTRACT:

IEEE 754 standard for floating-point precisions has served the
scientific computing community for decades. The advent of deep learning
marked the race to the bottom for the forever smaller bit
representations that could still be successfully used in training of
neural networks of increasing size and complexity. Yet shorter bit
representations are applied for inference tasks that, unlike training,
come at the speed of internet search queries. This first expanded and
subsequently fractured the landscape of floating-point representations,
reinvigorated the hardware startup scene, and applied pressure on the
community to develop new mixed precision algorithms and their analysis
methods. In this talk, I will focus on my contributions to the
algorithmic side of this burgeoning new field. I will cover a range of
numerical methods, their convergence properties, and performance
considerations when applied to HPC benchmarking.

=======================================

For information about the "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond
Seminar"
(CRIBB), please visit:

               https://math.mit.edu/sites/crib/

Shirley A. Entzminger