[Cad] [motors, power ee, & evs] (Siemens) Electric aircraft: World-record (50kg:260 kW contiunuous) electric motor makes first flight. also, electric dirigibles from 1885?!

Lochie Ferrier lochieferrier at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 21:06:02 EDT 2016

Couple of notes:

   - Hydrogen is hard, because the drag of the large tanks is enough to
   drop L/D down by enough to make the benefit questionable.
   - It's not the desire to fly 500 miles, it's the need as given by
   city-pair distances and the tight competition of the airline market (the
   cost of layovers is very significant, and electric can only get out in
   front economically if you don't have them)
   - The gallium aluminum system is definitely encouraging, according to
   someone I know who has worked on it it can reach specific energy of order
   of mag higher than Li-ion (~31 MJ/kg vs 0.72 MJ/kg). Current Jet A-1 comes
   in at 42.8 MJ/kg. Studying whether the fuel cell conversion system
   diminishes this benefit in the airliner environment would be a super good
   idea.
   - On the oil cooling thing, NASA has tried out cryogenically cooled
   motors and achieved good but not insane energy densities that I think were
   shown on Nancy's plot.
   - To be clear, the climate change impact of aviation is not that great.
   Likely not higher than 5% of transportation (science is not in on what H2O
   emissions do at altitude), let alone everything. So the motivation should
   really be building a better plane, not reducing emissions, in which case
   you want range, low cost and all the other things.

Cool to see that people are thinking about this, because quiet,
low-maintenance, cheap-to-run planes will shake things up.