[Cad] Fwd: [Open Manufacturing] Re: Which CAD Kernel Should the FOSS and OSHW Communities Focus On?

Nancy Ouyang nancy.ouyang at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:15:32 EST 2015

~~~
narwhaledu.org, educational robots <http://gfycat.com/ExcitableLeanAkitainu>
 [[<(._.)>]] my personal blog <http://www.orangenarwhals.com>,
orangenarwhals

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Clifford Yapp <cliffyapp at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Open Manufacturing] Re: Which CAD Kernel Should the FOSS and
OSHW Communities Focus On?
To: openmanufacturing at googlegroups.com

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 11:11 PM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. OpenCASCADE requires a tremendous amount of work to become high-quality
> source code that can be regularly maintained without a legion of bored
> postdocs. The best effort with OpenCASCADE towards this is the "Community
> Edition" version over here: https://github.com/tpaviot/oce
> my notes taken while reading OpenCASCADE source code:
> http://diyhpl.us/wiki/cad/opencascade/

Data points worth pointing out on OpenCASCADE:

As of 6.7.0 their license is now LGPLv2.1:
http://www.opencascade.com/content/licensing  - this is game changing
in some ways, since a standard license allows them (and programs that
use them) to be included in major Linux distributions.

There has also been recent development activity that sounds interesting:
http://dev.opencascade.org/index.php?q=node/1091
http://dev.opencascade.org/index.php?q=node/1056

Do those improvements sound like they might address enough of the
problems you found with OpenCASCADE to make it more interesting?

> Most recently I have been pointing people towards verbnurbs and
solvespace:

> verbnurbs:
> https://github.com/pboyer/verb
> https://github.com/pboyer/verb/blob/master/src/verb/eval/Intersect.hx
> http://verbnurbs.com/
> http://verbnurbs.com/examples/surfaceIntersection.html

http://heybryan.org/shots/2015-10-25-101304--verbnurbs-com-examples-surfaceIntersection-html-1445785971891.png

I'm somewhat surprised to see verbnurbs is in javascript - how does
that perform compared to C/C++ for this application?  Could it be
translated to C++, perhaps in combination with OpenNURBS?

https://github.com/whitequark/solvespace/blob/for-upstream/src/srf/surfinter.cpp
> https://github.com/whitequark/solvespace

Ah, interesting - I wasn't aware there was now a native Linux version
available.  This is of course like the SISL products - GPL has to be
workable for your application to be able to use them.  Glad to see
them making progress.  Does it support any import/export options
besides its own file format?

CY