[Cad] Fwd: [Open Manufacturing] Re: Which CAD Kernel Should the FOSS and OSHW Communities Focus On?

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 23:41:19 EST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Griessen <john at industromatic.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Open Manufacturing] Re: Which CAD Kernel Should the FOSS and
OSHW Communities Focus On?
To: openmanufacturing at googlegroups.com

On 11/09/2015 10:11 PM, Bryan Bishop wrote:

> I think a verified kernel sounds like a reasonable think to work on,
> although not necessary for open-source CAD reasons... I think
> eventually FreeCAD is going to voluntarily switch to either verbnurbs,
> solvespace or brlcad under the hood instead of OpenCASCADE.

I've used solvespace to make some complex parametric shapes and talked with
the main developer a bit.
It is not going to be able to do the fillets between compound surfaces from
that developer.  He
is also looking for a CAD engine for that purpose.  So, I think it is left
to verbnurbs or brlcad.

I just used FreeCAD to import an outline from solvespace, sweep it along a
rounded corner hexagon path to
make a "hexagonal" tube.  Getting the fillets to work ate much time, but
the people on the forum were very helpful.
Export to STL is not for sure yet and caused many freeze/crashes attempting
to "clean up" the stl using FreeCAD plugins.

Brlcad has seemed crude and laborious when I've tried it, but not having
random dead ends happen as
you try to follow a user manual would be nice.  Brlcad had no good user
manual for making plastic molding parts
with draft angle and smooth fillets everywhere last I tried.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507