[acs-r] working examples of extracting 1990 and 2000 census data

Frank Lenk FLENK at MARC.ORG
Fri Nov 11 10:35:07 EST 2016

If your addresses are all from a single metro, you might try contacting its Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) or Council of Governments (COG) to see if they have historical block-group files for their area.  I see you are at the University of Washington.  The MPO/COG in the Seattle areas is the Puget Sound Regional Council (http://www.psrc.org/ ).

Frank

Frank Lenk
Director of Research Services
Mid-America Regional Council
600 Broadway, Suite 200
Kansas City, MO 64105
www.marc.org<http://www.marc.org>
816.474.4240
flenk at marc.org<mailto:flenk at marc.org>
816.701.8237

From: acs-r-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:acs-r-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of Chris Cambron
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:47 PM
To: acs-r at mit.edu
Subject: [acs-r] working examples of extracting 1990 and 2000 census data

Hi all,
Two questions that I'm guessing you all know something about:
I am yet to find any working examples around the web for accessing 1990 census tables at the block group level with the acs package. I'm having a great deal of trouble identifying the correct table names for 1990, if anyone has been successful at this.

I have lat/long and street address data for a few thousand of addresses. Are there suggested methods for an amateur at this stuff to convert these into block groups codes? I've found some online tools but only for 2000 or 2010 block groups.
Thanks!

Chris Cambron, MSW, MPP
Doctoral Candidate
Social Development Research Group
School of Social Work   |  University of Washington
ccambron at uw.edu<mailto:ccambron at uw.edu>  |  www.sdrg.org<http://www.sdrg.org/>