[acs-r] divide.acs question

Ezra Haber Glenn eglenn at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 13 15:35:59 EDT 2013

Brian:

Thanks for your email, and for using the package.

The divide.acs function implements the formulas recommended by the
Census in their "Compass" series -- see, for example, "A Compass for
Understanding and Using American Community Survey Data: What State and
Local Governments Need to Know"
(<http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/handbooks/ACSstateLocal.pdf>).

To calculate the MOE (or standard error) for proportions, there is a
formula in the appendix (page A-14) of that guide.  As noted there:

  "There are rare instances where this formula will fail---the value
  under the square root will be negative.  If that happens, use the
  formula for derived ratios ... which will provide a conservative
  estimate of the MOE."

As far as I can tell, this is the best option -- but I would note that
if only some of your calculations trigger this issue, you may want to
be consistent as use method="ratio" for all of them.

Also, since others may be wondering about this as well, would you mind
if I posted your question (and my answer) to the acs-r user group mail
list (see <http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/acs-r>)...?

--Ezra

--
Ezra Haber Glenn, AICP
Department of Urban Studies and Planning
eglenn at mit.edu
http://dusp.mit.edu/faculty/ezra-glenn | http://eglenn.scripts.mit.edu/citystate/
617.253.2024 (w)
617.721.7131 (c)