Subject: [Wocky] GAIM - what is the dependence on GTK

From: Jonathan McIndoe Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:26:46 -0400

I installed the standard GAIM for Windows and noted the GTK package 
also gets installed as an option.  What is GTK and should we be 
including it in the MIT installer?

Thanks,
Jon

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:28:31 -0400

> including it in the MIT installer?

GTK is a graphics toolkit.  I can't imagine that gaim could work without
it.

---

From: Jonathan D Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:33:48 -0400 (EDT)

I'm not 100% clear on the context, but in addition to what Greg said, if 
we're writing our own installer, it should do something sane with GTK. 
It's possible people might already have GTK installed for other Windows 
ports of GTK apps, such as Ethereal, so it should only force the user to 
install it if it's not already there, it shouldn't overwrite anything.

-Jon

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Greg Hudson wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Wocky mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky
>

---

From: Jonathan McIndoe Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:50:47 -0400

And the simple installer for Windows is already starting to add complexity. :-)

I'm sure Atticus can handle this extra complexity.

Thanks,
Jon

At 03:33 PM 8/4/2005, Jonathan D Reed wrote:

>I'm not 100% clear on the context, but in addition to what Greg 
>said, if we're writing our own installer, it should do something 
>sane with GTK. It's possible people might already have GTK installed 
>for other Windows ports of GTK apps, such as Ethereal, so it should 
>only force the user to install it if it's not already there, it 
>shouldn't overwrite anything.
>
>-Jon
>
>