Subject: [Wocky] Adium auto-reconnect issue

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:56:35 -0400

If you log into jabber.mit.edu from two different machines with the
same resource, your first login will be terminated.  This is intended
behavior.

When Adium sees a terminated connection, it automatically reconnects
after two seconds.  This creates a ping-pong effect when two Adium
clients try to connect with the same resource.  I have my suspicions
that ping-ponging Adium clients may be responsible for the occasional
loading issues we've been seeing on jabber.mit.edu, especially if our
Kerberos password-authentication code is a bit inefficient (for
instance, I think it synchronously waits for a response from the
Kerberos server, blocking all other activity in the c2s process which
handles all connections).

When Gaim sees a terminated connection, it displays a dialog and
offers to reconnect, so there is no ping-ponging issue.

Things we can do:

  * Report this issue upstream to Adium.  Bob, I'm dropping this on
    your plate.

  * Make our password authentication code more efficient.  Not sure if
    this is technically feasible.

  * When we receive a second connection on the same resource, block
    the new connection instead of the old one.

  * When we receive a second connection on the same resource, force
    the use of a different resource.

I will work on the last option.

---

From: Robert Basch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 17:19:22 -0400

>   * Report this issue upstream to Adium.  Bob, I'm dropping this on

Done -- http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/4180

Bob

---

From: Robert Basch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:27:47 -0400

> Done -- http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/4180

Looks like a patch to fix this was just applied to the upstream
source tree.  The fix is not to attempt to auto-reconnect after
a resource conflict.

Bob