Subject: [Wocky] an MIT jabber account not tied to a Ker

From: Joshua Stillerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:22:43 -0400

The MIT help desk suggested that I contact you with this question:

10:07:57) jas: We are thinking of using the MIT jabber service instead or our own for a chat room we use to support an experiment here at the PSFC
(10:08:30) jas: We need a way for the engineering operators who log in with a generic account to join our chat.
(10:08:55) jas: Is there a mechanism for us to get a jabber account for them that is not tied to a kerberos principle ?
(10:11:00) boojum: It seems to be possible to join a jabber chat room with any name.
(Hmm. But it's probably kerberized. I should check.)
Also, this is the group chat for the Computing Help Desk, which
isn't all jabber experts; for the actual experts, you might want to
email [email-masked].
(10:11:19) jas: ok thanks

Thanks,

-Josh

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:34:21 -0400

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 10:22 -0400, Joshua Stillerman wrote:
> > 10:07:57) jas:We are thinking of using the MIT jabber service
> > instead or our own for a chat room we use to support an experiment
> > here at the PSFC
> > (10:08:30) jas:We need a way for the engineering operators who log
> > in with a generic account to join our chat. 
> > (10:08:55) jas:Is there a mechanism for us to get a jabber account
> > for them that is not tied to a kerberos principle ?

There is not.  But they can still join an MIT jabber server chat room
using a gmail.com or jabber.org or psfc.mit.edu jabber account.  It
doesn't matter which Jabber service the chat room is hosted on, for the
most part.

The situation is somewhat analagous to email.  You need a Kerberos
principal to get an mit.edu email account, but interoperating with
non-mit.edu email users is fully transparent.

Greg Hudson
MIT IS&T ISDA

---

From: Joshua Stillerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:36:34 -0400

Thanks !
This is working really well for us now.
-Josh

Greg Hudson wrote:

Greg Hudson
MIT IS&T ISDA