Subject: [Wocky] Status update on gaim GSSAPI patches

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:06:02 -0500

I decided to set up a source repository for gaim to manage the various
changes we are prototyping.  It's in
/afs/dev.mit.edu/project/jabber/repos/gaim.  This repository doesn't
have a trunk; it has a branches/upstream for the stock Gaim 1.5.0
source and a branches/gssapi-only for Simon's more recent patch with
our additions.  I expect to create a branches/cyrus-sasl branch for
working on Simon's older patch if we continue to believe that's the
direction to go in.  However, I'm currently prototyping with the
GSSAPI-only patch since that's temporarily easier to work with and
might be appropriate for a local deployment.

Qing, I took your change to get the connect server instead of
hardcoding jabber.mit.edu.  Thanks.

On requesting the password only when it is needed: currently, the
machinery for requesting the user's password on demand is in a
sub-block of gaim_connection_connect(), which also creates the
connection.  I will need to move that out into a separate function in
src/connection.c.  In the Jabber code, I've determined that all
authentication goes through auther jabber_auth_start or
jabber_auth_start_old (the latter for old-style IQ auth, which doesn't
support GSSAPI).  I can request the password unconditionally in
jabber_auth_start_old, and conditionally depending on whether the
server and client support GSSAPI in jabber_auth_start.  Those
functions will have to be broken up into two pieces since requesting
the password is a stop-and-wait-for-a-callback operation.