Subject: [Wocky] Jabber.mit.edu sluggishness

From: "Jon Ferguson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:42:38 -0400

Good Morning,

Jabber.mit.edu seems to be running slow this morning.

It takes a long time to sign in, and on the order of minutes to create
a chat room. Some of the messages (but not all) can take up to 30
seconds to be sent around.

Did anyone else notice this?

Cheers,
Jon Ferguson

---

From: Joanne Hallisey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:52:17 -0400

It did take a while to log on to Adium this morning.  I have sent a  
couple of messages, but cannot yet gauge the time it has taken to  
send/receive.

--------------------------------------------
Joanne Hallisey
IS&T
W91-205d
3-1894
[email-masked]

On May 25, 2006, at 8:42 AM, Jon Ferguson wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Wocky mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky

---

From: Mark Silis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:39:33 -0400

Hi Joanne,

This should be corrected now. The underlying database which stores  
the server side jabber data is using postgres, and the postgres  
database needs to be vacuumed from time to time due to the large  
amount of  adds and deletes it sees or the performance deteriorates.  
I went ahead and vacuumed the database to clean things up and  
performance should be better now. We are looking to upgrade to a more  
recent version of postgres (8.1) which supports auto vacuuming to  
avoid this type of problem in the future.

-- Mark

---

From: "Jon Ferguson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:28:02 -0400

It's all nice and speedy again. Thank you!

Cheers,
Jon Ferguson