Subject: [Wocky] More updates on gaim's Jabber authentication

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:10:54 -0500

I've modified the gaim code which dynamically loads the GSSAPI module
so that it can work for win32 and various different Unix GSSAPI
libraries.  I also took out the hardcoded /usr/athena/lib dependency.
I've put a build and a source tree checkout in
/afs/dev.mit.edu/project/jabber/gaim-krb5.  Qing, can you test this
code under Windows?

While corresponding with Simon and feeding back my changes, I learned
that Mozilla is apparently shifting to a strategy of dynamically
loading the GSSAPI module, using the same approach (a bundled
gssapi.h).  I was able to verify that with the current Mozilla code.
So it's possible that this approach would be reasonable for Gaim as
well.  The bundled gssapi.h in Mozilla is identical.

Simon said that he still uses Cyrus SASL for Linux local deployments
(perhaps because his SASL-using patch has security layer support), but
the direct GSSAPI approach "was the only way to get Gaim with GSSAPI
working on Windows (and of getting libgaim working on Mac OS X, so
that Adium would run)."  I don't know what the specific issues were.

Simon says he has attempted to get the Gaim developers interested in
his changes, but has had no luck.  From lurking on the gaim-devel
list, it looks like they are pretty focused in their 2.0 release, so I
will give it a try after that's out.  In the meantime, we may want to
think about distributing a locally-modified version of Gaim.

Two people were talking on Zephyr about playing with Gaim 2.0.0beta1,
and say it has issues authenticating to jabber.mit.edu.  I will look
into that this week.