Subject: [Wocky] Windows installer stuff

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:02:54 -0400

Hi,

Gaim 1.5.0 on Windows will install GTK+ Runtime 2.6.9 rev a. 

SWRT needs an MSI installer or merge module so that an MSI installer for
Gaim can be created. <http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/> has some exe
installers for various versions of GTK+. Some mailing lists indicate that
these are MSI installers but from my brief testing these are not using MSI. 

The Mono project has created an MSI that also installs GTK# (not +). I have
not yet tested this to see if it causes any interoperability issues with
Gaim on Windows. Nor have a looked at the installer to see if the GTK#
portion can be easily separated from the rest of Mono.

<http://www.mono-project.com/Downloads>

<http://www.mfconsulting.com/blog/archives/2004_09.html> has some archieved
traffic about the development of the MSI installer from last September.
Martinf / paco may be a useful source of information during the development
of our installer. 

<http://forgeftp.novell.com//monowin32/Mono%20Combined%20Installer%20Constru
ction%20Kit/README.html>

---
For those of you unfamiliar with MSI installers, these are the installers
that can be deployed via Group Policies in a Windows domain. SWRT has a goal
that all of their Windows installers should be deployable using Group
Policies in the WIN domain.