Subject: [Wocky] jabber at Iowa State University

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:02:41 -0600 (CST)

Hello,

I'm a Jr. Sys Admin at Iowa State University currently looking into
implementing a kerberized jabber server for the university as a
replacement for Zephyr among other things.  I was wondering how you went
about setting up the service.  My initial setup is a Jabberd-2.1cvs build
patched to include cyrus sasl support which will authenticate to the local
kerberos realm. Unfortunately, progress has been slow because
documentation is thin, and I need more experience in using the protocols.

Cole Christensen
Jr. System Administrator
Engineering Computing Support Services
Iowa State University

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:54:11 -0500

Hi.  Unfortunately, things are pretty confusing in the world of SASL
support for Jabber right now.

As you've noticed, jabberd 2.1-cvs includes SASL authentication support.
I can also provide patches against jabberd 2.0s10 for this support (the
patches were written by Simon Wilkinson <[email-masked]>, who has been
doing most of the heavy lifting in this area).

On the client side, Gaim recently incorporated some code in the mainline
to do SASL authentication, but it needs some work.  We also have patches
against Gaim 1.5 for GSSAPI SASL authentication, which combine work done
by Simon with some work done here.

If you are only interested in taking a password from the client over SSL
and verifying that against the KDC, that's a much simpler problem.  I
can likely provide a patch against jabberd 2.0s10 which does just that.
(It was written by a co-worker here; I'd have to check with him first.
It's really small, though, so I doubt it would be a problem.)

Good luck, and let us know how we can help.

Greg Hudson
Operations and Infrastructure Services
Information Services and Technology