Subject: [Wocky] Possible addition for Jabber docs

From: Jonathan Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:32:32 -0400

The jabber docs should probably remind people that they need to use 
[email-masked]" when initiating chats with people not in their 
buddy list.  Attempting to chat with just "jdreed", for example, 
won't work, but it won't throw an error either.  I ran into this in 
gaim, attempting to figure out why I couldn't talk to my test 
account, and realized I was still thinking in a Zephyr mindset.

In, iChat, however, if you initiate a "New Chat with Person", and 
don't specify a domain in the address, it assumes the same domain as 
your current server.  Therefore, in iChat, I can in fact just open a 
new chat with "joeuser" and it will realize it's "[email-masked]".

Is there any way to set a "default realm" in Gaim, or better yet have 
it append the server name if there is no "@" sign?  This has the 
potential to be confusing, particularly for people who use Jabber 
with Gaim and Zephyr at the same time.

-------

Also, on an unrelated note, I created a simple script to set up a 
Jabber account for people who had previously used Gaim on Athena for 
another service (ie: AIM, Zephyr) and therefore would already have an 
accounts.xml file and would not get the Jabber account by default 
from the wrapper script.   It was initially an exercise in playing 
with Perl+XML, but then I realized we only have XML::Parser in the 
release, and not an XML writer, so I gave up.   It's at 
~/Public/jabber-setup  - if anyone thinks it's a good idea to have, I 
can dump it in the consult locker.

-Jon
-- 
-------------------
Jonathan Reed

[email-masked]
-------------------

---

From: Heather Anne Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:16:24 -0400

I'll make sure to note the first issue in the docs, assuming
nothing is changed.

As for the script, that sounds like a useful addition.  A good
percentage of users interested in the service have likely used
GAIM in the past.

Heather Anne
[email-masked]

Quoting Jonathan Reed <[email-masked]>:

> _______________________________________________
> Wocky mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky
>