Subject: [Wocky] Gaim / GTK+ installer question

From: Atticus Gifford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:26:27 -0400

Is there there a strong preference for repackaging the GTK+ installer  
as part of the Gaim project?  Given that this is not the only source  
people will install GTK+ from, and the 2 common EXE installers (from  
GTK+ and GIMP?) play nicely together already it seems like we may  
want to just embed the installer to run silently as part of the MSI  
installation.  Since some users may already have GTK+ installed from  
another source, or may install it later (embedded in some other  
installer), my preference would be to keep the installer that will  
cause the fewest possible support issues down the road.  I don't  
think this should cause any undue stress on domain deployment, but if  
overlooking a scenario please let me know.  I'm working on a beta of  
the installer as we speak, so if you have any thoughts please let me  
know as soon as you can.

-atticus

---

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:44:31 -0400

Hi Atticus,

Although I am not opposed to having the Gaim installer embed the GTK+ exe
installer as a feature that normally runs, I think we should also take a
look at GTK#. 

The Mono project has created an MSI that also installs GTK# (not +). I have
not yet tested this to see if it causes any interoperability issues with
Gaim on Windows. Nor have a looked at the installer to see if the GTK#
portion can be easily separated from the rest of Mono.

<http://www.mono-project.com/Downloads>

>From earlier email to the wocky list:

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul B. Hill [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 2:03 PM
To: 'Jonathan M Hunt'
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Windows installer stuff

Hi,

Gaim 1.5.0 on Windows will install GTK+ Runtime 2.6.9 rev a. 

SWRT needs an MSI installer or merge module so that an MSI installer for
Gaim can be created. <http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/> has some exe
installers for various versions of GTK+. Some mailing lists indicate that
these are MSI installers but from my brief testing these are not using MSI. 

The Mono project has created an MSI that also installs GTK# (not +). I have
not yet tested this to see if it causes any interoperability issues with
Gaim on Windows. Nor have a looked at the installer to see if the GTK#
portion can be easily separated from the rest of Mono.

<http://www.mono-project.com/Downloads>

<http://www.mfconsulting.com/blog/archives/2004_09.html> has some archieved
traffic about the development of the MSI installer from last September.
Martinf / paco may be a useful source of information during the development
of our installer. 

<http://forgeftp.novell.com//monowin32/Mono%20Combined%20Installer%20Constru
ction%20Kit/README.html>

---
For those of you unfamiliar with MSI installers, these are the installers
that can be deployed via Group Policies in a Windows domain. SWRT has a goal
that all of their Windows installers should be deployable using Group
Policies in the WIN domain. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Atticus Gifford
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Deb Bowser
Subject: [Wocky] Gaim / GTK+ installer question

-atticus

_______________________________________________
Wocky mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky