Subject: [Wocky] Meeting Notes and Next Steps: Jabber - November 22, 2005

From: Joanne Hallisey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:30:40 -0500

November 22, 2005
Jabber IM Pilot Project

The Jabber server has been moved off of po15.  Greg has sent Mark  
Silis updates which have been deployed.

The team discussed in more detail the criteria for deploying  
enterprise-wide.  Our deliverable for December is to evaluate the  
pilot and make a decision.  There are three possible recommendations:
1. deploy enterprise-wide - this then sets off a number of tasks for  
executing support and service plans (see draft below)
2. continue the pilot - this may be necessary if it is necessary to  
resolve some of the technical issues
3. do not introduce the service

Some data that will help shape the recommendation:

How many people have used the pilot clients?
What are the statistics from the server for daily launches logins?
What are the statistics from the server for unique logins?
What is the estimated audience campus-wide?

What is the uptake?

How many messages are being exchanged?

How many messages are exchanged per unit time (hour/other)?

What is the load performance?

Joanne and Greg will ask Mark Silis what kinds of statistics he can  
provide.
Joanne will send a short survey to the original email lists invited  
to participate.

Technical criteria?
             What are the technical requirements that have been met?

What are the outstanding technical requirements?
	-GSS support.  Greg is working on this, but there are still issues.   
Using ssl sending the password over the network to the server.  Need  
to be sure that the client configuration is correct or it is sent in  
the clear.
	-Passwords if saved are saved in the clear.  The nature of the  
program strongly encourages the user to save passwords.
	-Lack of feedback when a user tries to add someone to their buddy list.
	-Server to server functionality has not been enabled.  Without this  
feature users cannot use Jabber to communicate with colleagues  
outside of MIT.
	-User names require @mit.edu.  GAIM developers will not modify the  
code.  Server-side hack is not feasible.

Are any of the outstanding technical requirements “showstoppers”?  Is  
a collection of technical issues a “showstopper”.

There is an option to branch the development so that we do MIT fixes,  
but then, we have more maintenance overhead.  Do not believe this is  
a good option.

Support  and Service Plan

Computing Help Desk:  The first line of support for the instant  
messaging service is the Computing Help Desk.  The CHD will respond  
to incoming emails, phone calls, and case logs regarding problems  
related to the use of Jabber clients, GAIM and AdiumX including,  
acquisition (download), installation, configuration, network  
connectivity, general use for IM and chat.

Training and Publications:  The Publications group will maintain Web- 
based documentation that provides overview information, requirements  
and instructions for use and basic self-help information.

The Training group will run periodic Quick Start classes (quarterly)

Network Operations:  The Network Operations team will set up,  
configure and maintain the test and production servers.

Tasks to be Done:
Training
             Help Desk Staff
             Quick Start for end users

Documentation
             User documentation – Web self - help
             FAQs and Stock Answers

Software Release
             Write installers for Macintosh, Windows, Linux
             Create Product Web Pages

NIST
             Acquire servers ?
             Set up and configure servers
             Establish process for making changes, maintaining the  
service

--------------------------------------------
Joanne Hallisey
Sr. Project Manager
Information Services and Technology
W92-153
617-253-1894
[email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:44:53 -0500

>to be sure that the client configuration is correct or it is sent in 

If not a showstopper, I'd consider the lack of this reason to extend 
the pilot phase.  If Jabber is to become MIT's preferred 
institute-wide messaging system, particularly on Athena, then 
Kerberos support is pretty much a necessity.  It becomes a hassle to 
type your password multiple times throughout the day.  Honestly, 
that's one of the reasons I don't log in to Jabber as much as I 
probably should - it's much easier to hit 'Cancel' then to keep 
typing my password, particularly on my laptop, where I often suspend 
the machine, resulting in disconnects.

>connectivity, general use for IM and chat.

Athena Consulting will support gaim on Athena.

>             Write installers for Macintosh, Windows, Linux

There is no installer necessary for Linux - the gaim RPM is provided 
by Red Hat and is installed via up2date.  We could provide an 
installer that installs some sort of wrapper script with a basic 
config, similar to what happens on Athena, however we do not 
currently do that for any other applications that ship with the OS 
and require configuration, such as Evolution.  A web page with 
instructions on how to obtain the RPM via up2date and what values to 
fill in which dialog boxes should be sufficient for Linux.

-Jon
-- 
-------------------
Jonathan Reed

[email-masked]
-------------------