Subject: [Wocky] Progress on gaim chatroom configuration bug

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:17:26 -0400

I have figured out what is happening with the gaim chatroom
configuration bug
(http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/wocky/2005-September/000042.html).
Essentially, gaim's SSL framework is prone to connection stalling when
the server sends it more than 4095 bytes of data at a time.  The code
gets into a state where there is data waiting in the SSL decryption
buffer, but no callback is generated to read that data.

The fix is not obvious; I have kicked the matter up to the gaim-devel
list to ask for advice.  Since it will take time for a fix to reach
the downloadable clients anyway, we might want to tweak the server so
that it generates less than 4095 bytes of data in response to a
chatroom configuration query.  Right now it is generating 4135 bytes,
so we'd only have to cut 40 bytes or so.

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:54:07 -0400

I wrote:
> Since it will take time for a fix to reach the downloadable clients
> anyway, we might want to tweak the server so that it generates less
> than 4095 bytes of data in response to a chatroom configuration
> query.  Right now it is generating 4135 bytes, so we'd only have to
> cut 40 bytes or so.

Based on the server sources I now have access to, this will require
modifying the mu-conference source code.  So this change should wait
until we have a source control system and a test server, which will
hopefully be soon.

> The fix is not obvious; I have kicked the matter up to the
> gaim-devel list to ask for advice.

I didn't receive any answer on the gaim-devel list, so I will have to
take additional time to work out a fix.