Subject: [Wocky] Jabber Conferences and Adium X

From: Adam Seering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:58:45 -0500

Hi,
	I'm trying to set up a Jabber Conference so that I can chat with 
several people at once.  I have a Linux box with Gaim 2.0.0b3.1, and a 
Mac with Adium 0.89.1.  If I create the conference on the Linux box by 
choosing "Join a Chat" and entering the following settings:

Room: mytestroom
Server: conference.mit.edu
Handle: [email-masked]
Password: [blank]

I get a new chat room that says "This room is locked from entry until 
configuration is confirmed".  I also get a nice dialog box asking if I 
want to configure the room.  After I've configured the room, other 
people can join.

However, if I follow the same procedure on the Mac, I get the "This 
room is locked from entry until configuration is confirmed" message, 
but not the dialog box asking if I want to configure the room; and no 
one can join the chat.

I assume I have to confirm the configuration somehow, but I can't find 
documentation on how to do so.  Is this possible?

Thanks,
Adam

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:03:18 -0500

> but not the dialog box asking if I want to configure the room; and no 

Hm, is it possible get a dialog by "jogging" the connection by sending
messages to yourself?

I don't know if this feature is simply unimplemented in Adium, or if
it's the SSL connection-stalling bug we've seen in Gaim (but thought we
had worked around by shortening the conference configuration reply).

---

From: Adam Seering <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:52:18 -0500

Hi,
	Thanks for the reply.

	Just wondering, did something change somewhere recently?  In Adium,  
the configuration is now automatically confirmed (with the in-chat  
message "Configuration confirmed: This room is now unlocked."), and  
other people can enter the chat room immediately (no configuration  
dialog appears).  Configuration on Gaim still goes through the  
confirmation dialog box.

	On a probably-unrelated note: I just got a new MacBook; I've had  
occasion to have both my old and new Macs running at the same time,  
with Adium open.  I've noticed that, when I do this, my MIT Jabber  
session on both clients starts logging out and back in continuously.   
This doesn't happen with only one Adium instance, nor an Adium  
instance and either one or two Gaim instances.

	(For chats, Adium now works on both my new and old Macs; they're  
both running the Adium 0.89.1 Universal Binary, though the new Mac's  
x86 and the old one's ppc.  Not sure if logging in once on the newer  
Mac could have made a difference somehow?)

Thanks,
Adam

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 14:16:19 -0500

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 13:52 -0500, Adam Seering wrote:

> Just wondering, did something change somewhere recently?

Not that I'm aware of.

> instance and either one or two Gaim instances.

Use a different resource for your two Adium configurations.  If you log
in with the same resource as another connection, the old connection gets
booted.  The #1 most common Jabber client bug is (for clients which
auto-reconnect) not to recognize this form of booting and to reconnect,
creating the cycling you noticed above.  The version of Adium you're
running (which may be the version we're distributing; not sure)
apparently has this bug.