Subject: [Wocky] adium on mac feedback

From: Alicia Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:07:30 -0400

Hi,
I used the MIT Adium installer and it seemed to work well.  Right 
after I installed it asked me if I wanted to upgrade and every once 
in a while (I haven't yet figured out the pattern), it asks me if I 
want to upgrade.  I think I've said no each time.  I'm running 
version 0.89

Sometimes Adium asks me for my MIT password 4 or 5 times and then 
doesn't log me into jabber.
[email-masked] (Jabber) : Gaim error
Not Authorized

Sometimes it works.

Using Gaim on athena there is a way list connect to 
conference.mit.edu and see what I assume are permanent chat rooms. 
I haven't managed to figure out how to do this with Adium,  even 
though I've tried several times.

I love the fact that I'm logged into AIM, Y! and Jabber all through one client.

Alicia

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alicia L Hunt                                            [email-masked]
Assistant Director for Graduate Housing      (617) 253-0191
Division of Student Life, MIT                            E19-429C
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: William Cattey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:43:23 -0400

Yesterday I had trouble getting onto jabber from Adium, but with  
persistence could get on.

Now I can't get on any more either.

-wdc

On Apr 13, 2006, at 3:07 PM, Alicia Hunt wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Wocky mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky

---

From: Joanne M Hallisey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:05:09 -0400

I am using Adium and I have not had any trouble.  I do say "no" every time it
asks if I want to update.

Joanne

---

From: Alicia Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:18:33 -0400

Is there someone I should tell when I can't connect to Jabber 
(through Adium or anything else) or should I just try again later?

I can't get in now...

thanks,
Alicia
--

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:24:46 -0400

> (through Adium or anything else) or should I just try again later?

At the moment, we do not have a formalized operational support model.
Notifying this list and trying again later is fine.

(Mark, can you look into this soon?)

---

From: Robert Basch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:29:09 -0400

I downloaded Adium 0.89.1, and reproduced the authorization
error; this fails consistently.  Version 0.87 (still available as
"MIT Adium 0.87" under /Applications, via our installer) still
seems to work fine.  So it appears that Adium broke something
in 0.89 (or 0.88); I will try to investigate further...

Bob

---

From: Alicia Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:51:07 -0400

The version I'm running is 0.89  (definitely no .1 at the end).   It 
fails sporadically, but often.  For example, I'm connected now.

thanks,
Alicia

-- 

Alicia L Hunt 
[email-masked]

---

From: William Cattey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:58:39 -0400

Mon dieu!  I upgraded from 0.89 to 0.89.1, and thought nothing of the 
possibility that that might have broken something.  I threw the 0.89 
dmg file away, but through the miracle of google, found an old 0.89 on 
sourceforge.

Having reverted from 0.89.1 to 0.89 I now have **NO** trouble 
connecting to jabber.

Do we have an established communication path to the Adium X folks?  We 
might want to tell them:

	0.89.1 broke authentication to jabber.
	There should be a way to ask for a previous version explicitly, in 
addition to having download.php always and forever give you the latest 
one.

-wdc

"Like my father before me, I shall remain 5 years old till the day I 
die!"

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:05:42 -0400

> Having reverted from 0.89.1 to 0.89 I now have **NO** trouble

Well, today, with 0.89.1, I'm finally able to connect.  I wasn't able  
to yesterday.  So, I think something else has changed...maybe you  
should try 0.89.1 again and see?

Ken

---

From: Robert Basch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:15:21 -0400

On Apr 14, 2006, at 5:58 PM, William Cattey wrote:

> Do we have an established communication path to the Adium X folks?

I built a debug version, and found and reported the possible
problem to Adium; see:

http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/3798

It seems that the problem involves a race condition, so that
authorization succeeds some times (though never for me in
testing so far); I believe that 0.89 and 0.89.1 both have the
race condition, while 0.87 does not (not sure about 0.88).

Bob

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:23:27 -0400

> race condition, while 0.87 does not (not sure about 0.88).

Interesting... thanks for following up on it...

Do you want other people to try it out and get you a log from a  
successful connection?

Ken

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:29:39 -0400

> Do you want other people to try it out and get you a log from a  

I think the race condition is actually on the server.

Adium is sending two stanzas in a row:

  1. Please start me up a session.
  2. Do you support google:mail:notify?

I belive (though I haven't checked the standards yet) that Adium is
supposed to be waiting for a response from stanza 1 before sending
stanza 2 or anything else.  Because it doesn't, we run afoul of a weird
property of jabberd2: it handles requests by passing them around between
several independent processes.  If the session manager hasn't yet
processed stanza 1 and responded, the client handler reacts to stanza 2
by throwing a stream error and closing the stream.  But if the delay
between stanzas is long enough for the server to process the session
request and respond to it (and the stanzas are sent in two separate
packates, so there very well may be enough delay), then the client
handler notices the response and allows stanza 2.

---

From: Robert Basch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:33:57 -0400

> Do you want other people to try it out and get you a log from a  

No, thanks, I managed to get such a log, finally.  (It's probably
not as interesting as the corresponding log from the server, so
I'll hold off on sending it along until requested).

Bob

---

From: Robert Basch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:51:53 -0400

> I think the race condition is actually on the server.

Yes; to clarify my earlier message --  0.87 works because
it does not send the google:mail:notify query at all.  That
query was added in a more recent version.

Hopefully the Adium maintainers will agree that the
client should wait for the response to the first query
before sending the second...

Bob

---

From: William Cattey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:54:18 -0400

Alas, the problem is as ghudson described, and occurs both to 0.89  
and 0.89.1. I was just lucky on the 14th.  Today, even with 0.89, I  
can't get onto the Jabber server.

-wdc

On Apr 14, 2006, at 5:58 PM, William Cattey wrote:

> Mon dieu!  I upgraded from 0.89 to 0.89.1, and thought nothing of  
> the possibility that that might have broken something.  I threw the  
> 0.89 dmg file away, but through the miracle of google, found an old  
> 0.89 on sourceforge.
>
> We might want to tell them:
>
> addition to having download.php always and forever give you the  
> latest one.
>
> -wdc
>
> "Like my father before me, I shall remain 5 years old till the day  
> I die!"
>
>
>

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:10:07 -0400

> can't get onto the Jabber server.

I've looked up the relevant server code and clauses in the RFCs, and
sent mail to the jabberd list explaining the problem, and why the server
may be being too picky.  I got one developer response which seemed
sympathetic, but there's no trivial fix for the general problem, so it
may be a while before we see movement.

While we wait for either Adium or jabberd to budge, we can install a
hack on the server to make c2s recognize google:talk:notify iq queries
and respond to them without worrying about whether there's an active
session.  I will work on that change tomorrow.  (The jwgc code makes for
a nice easy test harness, fortunately.)

---

From: Robert Basch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 16:04:25 -0400

On Apr 18, 2006, at 9:10 PM, Greg Hudson wrote:

> session.

It looks like Adium has fixed the problem (by waiting until after it
finishes connecting successfully to send the google mail query);
this will presumably be included in the next version.  (They made
a patched 0.89.1 available for download; we can probably just
make do with your server workaround for now, but let me know if
you're interested in setting up a test of the patched Adium).

Bob