Subject: [Wocky] google presence interactions

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:07:25 -0400

It seems that every time I set some kind of "away" status on my  
mit.edu account via Adium and then make myself available, a friend of  
mine on Google (via browser, not a "real" jabber client) sees me log  
off and back on, and she can't send me messages in the interim if she  
hasn't already got a chat window open for me.  I've fired up gaim  
from Athena with my jis.mit.edu account, which has the mit.edu  
account in its contact list, and it sees an away message but I'm  
still signed on.

Has anyone else seen/investigated this?

Ken

---

From: Patrick McNeal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:23:02 -0400

> Has anyone else seen/investigated this?

I just tried on 10.5.2 with both iChat 4.0.2 (604) and Adium 1.2.3 and  
was not able to replicate what you are seeing.  With both clients,  
Google chat, using Firefox 2.0.0.12, showed my status change without  
seeing me log off.  I'm also able to send a message from google chat  
when I was away and even logged off.

--Patrick

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:17:15 -0400

On Mar 21, 2008, at 9:23, Patrick McNeal wrote:
> I just tried on 10.5.2 with both iChat 4.0.2 (604) and Adium 1.2.3  
> and was not able to replicate what you are seeing.  With both  
> clients, Google chat, using Firefox 2.0.0.12, showed my status  
> change without seeing me log off.  I'm also able to send a message  
> from google chat when I was away and even logged off.

So maybe it's just something in my friend's google configuration  
then.  Okay, thanks for trying it out.

Ken