Subject: [Wocky] jabber / gaim

From: "Bill Brids" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:47:26 -0400

A few questions that I have come up with --

Buddy lists are not showing "buddies" why? ( Windows XP users) 

How do I create a room? For example if I wanted to create a room for HELPDESK what are the steps? 

few typos in http://itinfo.mit.edu/answer.php?id=7918

the words "accounts: and "recommend"

thanks
bill brids

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:37:09 -0400

> Buddy lists are not showing "buddies" why? ( Windows XP users) 

Go to Buddies -> Show Offline Buddies.

Also, you will need to be authorized by your buddies before you can tell
their online status; until then, they will always appear to be offline.
Your buddies will get a dialog requesting authorization when they log
in.

> HELPDESK what are the steps? 

Buddies -> Join a Chat

If you choose to configure the chat room rather than accept defaults,
there is a known issue where gaim won't display the configuration dialog
immediately.  You'll need to "jog" the connection by sending yourself a
message, and then you should see the dialog.

---

From: Tom Fitzgerald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:04:22 -0400

It looks like server-to-server communication is disabled on
jabber.mit.edu.  Is this planned at some point?  (or am I
misinterpreting?)

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:30:40 -0500

> jabber.mit.edu.  Is this planned at some point?  (or am I

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you about this.

My testing indicates:

  * s2s works between mit.edu and jis.mit.edu
  * s2s works between mit.edu and 12jabber.com
  * s2s does *not* work between mit.edu and jabber.org
  * s2s does *not* work between mit.edu and gmail.com

It is well-known that gmail.com does not allow server-to-server Jabber
at the current time; see:

  http://www.google.com/talk/developer.html#service_4

It's disappointing, but we don't have any control over that decision.

When I initially tested against jabber.org and found that it didn't
work, I assumed the problem must be on our end.  I'm rather surprised
to find out that the problem seems to be on their end, since we are
able to communicate with two other open-registration servers.

---

From: Joseph Calzaretta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:07:45 -0500

>* s2s works between mit.edu and jis.mit.edu

Is this intermittent?  A few weeks ago when I was setting up the Gaim 
client, I couldn't see anyone @jis.mit.edu via my [email-masked] account... 
nor anyone @mit.edu from my [email-masked] account.  Neither could Sam 
Hartman.  Today, the cross-server stuff seems to be working.  And 
presumably it worked in the past as well.  So are the servers being 
reconfigured every so often?  Or is there some kind of intermittent 
something-else going on?  Thanks!

--Joe

---

From: Tom Fitzgerald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:45:44 -0500

Cool.  I was testing with jabber.org too, unfortunately.
12jabber.com will suit me fine.

Interestingly, s2s does work between jabber.org and 12jabber.com.