Subject: [Wocky] Google Talk S2S status

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:53:50 -0500

Hi,

It looks like Google Talk turned on server-to-server support sometime on
Sunday, January 15th. It does require that other jabber servers enable
dial-back for authentication. Jeff's server does this, the last I knew
jabber.mit.edu did not have this enabled. 

>From <http://www.google.com/talk/developer.html#service_4>:

2. Whom are you federating with?

We currently support open federation with any service provider that supports
the industry standard XMPP protocol. This includes Earthlink, Gizmo Project,
Tiscali, Netease, Chikka, MediaRing, and thousands of other ISPs,
universities, corporations and individual users. 

3. Do service providers need explicit approval to federate with the Google
Talk service?

No, there is no paperwork involved. Service providers just need to support
the XMPP standard for server-to-server federation and their users will be
able to talk to our users (and vice versa).

4. Do you plan to support other industry standards for communications
interoperability?

Yes, we plan to support SIP.

5. Where can I get more technical information about federating with the
Google Talk service?

If you are building your own XMPP service, refer to the XMPP specs. If you
are using a commercial or open-source jabber server such as ejabberd, then
federation should just work. One important thing to note is that we use
dial-back for authentication. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to post to the Google Talk
Interoperability Google Group.

---

From: Mark Silis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:34:56 -0500

Hi Paul,

FYI we actually do have dialback enabled on jabber.mit.edu.

-- Mark

On Jan 18, 2006, at 3:53 PM, Paul B. Hill wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Wocky mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky

---

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:51:25 -0500

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the correction.

Some users at other sites had reported that they noticed the S2S support was
working when they started seeing old pending invitations. I had sent a buddy
invitation long ago, but didn't see any notification today. Since seeing
your mail I deleted the old unauthorized, offline buddy and sent a new
invitation. Everything is now working correctly and I am able to reach GTalk
users from my MIT jabber account and vice versa.

I also note that today I retested s2s with jabber.org and that is now
working as well.

Paul 

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Silis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:35 PM
To: Paul B. Hill
Cc: Mark Silis; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Wocky] Google Talk S2S status

Hi Paul,

-- Mark

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:04:40 -0500

I've verified that I can communicate with a Subversion contact who has a
Google Talk account as well.

Now we just need Google Talk to take over the commercial IM market.