Subject: [Wocky] Invitation to participate in the Jabber messaging pilot

From: "Joanne M. Hallisey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:59:10 -0400

Hello,

IS&T invites you to participate in a pilot of a Jabber Instant 
Messaging service.   Jabber is an instant messaging system that 
allows MIT users to communicate with one another and Jabber users 
elsewhere on the Internet. Jabber also supports creation and joining 
of chat rooms for group communication. Additionally, many Jabber 
clients also offer support for other instant messaging systems such 
as AIM (AOL) and YIM (Yahoo).

The intention of the pilot is to learn more about requirements for 
providing this as an enterprise messaging service and understand some 
of the support and service issues.  The pilot will focus on setting 
up the server environment and delivering installers for GAIM and 
AdiumX (software clients for Linux, Macintosh and Windows).

The Jabber pilot team will provide limited best effort support, and 
pilot participants are strongly encouraged to give feedback. As the 
pilot progresses, the team will send updates and post them to the web 
pages listed below. The pilot will run through December 2005.  IS&T 
will start a more formal release effort if the pilot is successful.

The following draft web pages provide download information, 
configuration instructions and information about known issues.

Jabber Service Page
<http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/messaging/jabber.html>

Jabber Stock Answer Branch
<http://itinfo.mit.edu/answer.php?id=7916>

Please note:
As always, protect your password.  Do not allow the client program to 
store your password.

For questions or more information please contact the team via the 
Wocky mailing list:
[email-masked]
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky>

Thank you.
For the Jabber Team,
--
Joanne Hallisey
_______________________________________________
Reminders:
- Make off-campus connections through the Virtual Private Network.
For information on the VPN see 
<http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/network/vpn.html>

- Take advantage of the MIT Windows Automatic Update Service.  For 
information on WAUS see 
<http://web.mit.edu/ist/topics/windows/updates/>

- Take advantage of a recent enhancement to MIT's Spam Screening 
service which allows for personally setting the number of days "spam" 
is aged prior to auto deletion.  For more complete information and to 
set your personal options see 
<http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/email/nospam/>

-- 
Joanne Hallisey
Sr. Project Manager
MIT - Information Services and Technology
617-253-1894

---

From: "Joanne M. Hallisey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:29:30 -0400

Hi Cecilia,

I am copying the list so that the others can see your list of 
requirements and answer.

Thanks,
Joanne

>Hi Joanne,
>
>I would like to participate in this pilot.  I am looking for a chat 
>product that could be integrated (thin client, browser-based) within 
>a student advising web site, so that students could ask questions 
>and have them answered by advisors real time.  I would like 
>kerb/certificate authentication and encryption, to abide by FERPA 
>regulations.  It'd be great if those requirements could be met by a 
>chat service offered through IS&T.
>
>Thanks.
>Cecilia
>
>
>At 10:59 AM 10/18/2005, you wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>elsewhere on the Internet. Jabber also supports creation and 
>>joining of chat rooms for group communication. Additionally, many 
>>Jabber clients also offer support for other instant messaging 
>>systems such as AIM (AOL) and YIM (Yahoo).
>>
>>providing this as an enterprise messaging service and understand 
>>some of the support and service issues.  The pilot will focus on 
>>setting up the server environment and delivering installers for 
>>GAIM and AdiumX (software clients for Linux, Macintosh and Windows).
>>
>>pilot progresses, the team will send updates and post them to the 
>>web pages listed below. The pilot will run through December 2005. 
>>IS&T will start a more formal release effort if the pilot is 
>>successful.
>>
>>As always, protect your password.  Do not allow the client program 
>>to store your password.
>>
>>service which allows for personally setting the number of days 
>>"spam" is aged prior to auto deletion.  For more complete 
>>information and to set your personal options see 
>Web and Database Consultant
>Office of Academic Services
>MIT
>617-253-1196
>[email-masked]

---

From: "Joanne M. Hallisey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:33:49 -0400

Hello, Gurukarm.

What I do  it to invite someone using their email address (including 
@mit.edu) so, you don't have to know a screen name.  Since this is a 
pilot, the extent of its use on campus is somewhat limited.  If you 
know others on the wocky list, you can start there.  You can also 
mention it to colleagues.

Thanks,
Joanne

>Joanne, although I use a different Mac-based multi-chat client 
>(Fire, accessing AIM, MSN & Yahoo), I thought I'd try this as well - 
>I have not had a Jabber account in the past.
>
>My question is, now that I have set up and configured Adium, how do 
>I find out who else around campus is online and available?
>
>Thanks!
>Gurukarm
>........................................................................................
>Gurukarm K. Khalsa            Course 7 & Biology Dept. Web Ofc
>68-132, 617-452-3683	 MIT Dept. of Biology
>[email-masked]              http://mit.edu/biology/www/
>........................................................................................
>
>>Hello,
>>

---

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:55:55 -0400

Hi Cecilia,

To date we haven't investigated any of the browser based Jabber clients, nor
have we developed a timeline of when we will tackle this issue. There is the
open source JWChat <http://jwchat.sourceforge.net/> which looks interesting.
However, the authentication issue presents a challenge at the moment. 

Scott Thorne has also indicated that there is some interest in creating an
OKI OSID implementation to use the Jabber service for IM. I don't think
anyone at MIT is actively working on that, but perhaps someone outside of
MIT is working on it. 

Paul Hill
Information Services and Technology

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Joanne M. Hallisey
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:30 AM
To: Cecilia Marra
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Wocky] Re: Invitation to participate in the Jabber messaging pilot

Hi Cecilia,

Thanks,
Joanne

-- 
Joanne Hallisey
Sr. Project Manager
MIT - Information Services and Technology
617-253-1894
_______________________________________________
Wocky mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky

---

From: Cecilia Marra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:29:10 -0400

Thanks, Paul.

Forgive me for being pushy or obtuse (and greedy!), but based on potential 
interest and the pilot status of this effort, can authentication, 
encryption, and a thin client be included in the functional requirements of 
this tool?

There is a product I just recently heard about, in use by some other 
educational institutions, called LivePerson 
(http://www.timpani.com/).  They have an ASP business model and I don't 
know what technology they're using.  You can embed the feature in a web 
site, and it supposedly has 128-bit SSL encryption.  The cost is actually 
fairly reasonable, but of course I'd much rather explore a service offered 
by MIT.

Cecilia