Subject: [Wocky] FW: Extension of the Jabber instant messaging pilot

From: "Nicoli M Ames" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:57:02 -0500

Hi,

I would like to participate in the Jabber pilot.

I already had GAIM installed on my computer, so I just added my MIT Jabber account... and it seems to work. At least I can chat with myself :)

Thanks,
Nici

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joanne Hallisey
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Extension of the Jabber instant messaging pilot

Hello,

IS&T has been conducting a pilot of a Jabber instant massaging
service. We would like to extend the pilot more broadly to get more
client feedback. Would you please consider participation in this
pilot and invite colleagues from your Department, as well?

Jabber is an instant messaging system that allows MIT users to
communicate with one another and Jabber users
elsewhere on the Internet. Jabber also supports creation and joining
of chat rooms for group communication. Additionally, many Jabber
clients also offer support for other instant messaging systems such
as AIM (AOL) and YIM (Yahoo).

The intention of the pilot is to learn more about requirements for
providing this as an enterprise messaging service and understand some
of the support and service issues.  The pilot has focused on setting
up the server environment and delivering installers for GAIM and
AdiumX (software clients for Linux, Macintosh and Windows).

If you would like to participate in the pilot, please reply to
[email-masked]. We will point you to the MIT installers if required.
Otherwise, please use the urls below for pilot information and vendor
installers.

The Jabber pilot team will provide limited best effort support, and
pilot participants are strongly encouraged to give feedback. As the
pilot progresses, the team will send updates and post them to the web
pages listed below.

SWRT will be preparing for a full release later this semester, but
your input will help with documentation and support for this release.

The following pilot web pages provide download information,
configuration instructions and information about known issues.

Jabber Service Page
<http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/messaging/jabber.html>

Jabber Stock Answer Branch
<http://itinfo.mit.edu/answer.php?id=7916>

Please note:
As always, protect your password.  Do not allow the client program to
store your password.

For questions or more information please contact the team via the
Wocky mailing list:
[email-masked]
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky>

Thank you.
For the Jabber Team,
--
Joanne Hallisey

_______________________________________________
Reminders:
- Make off-campus connections through the Virtual Private Network.
For information on the VPN see
<http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/network/vpn.html>

- Take advantage of the MIT Windows Automatic Update Service.  For
information on WAUS see
<http://web.mit.edu/ist/topics/windows/updates/>

- Take advantage of a recent enhancement to MIT's Spam Screening
service which allows for personally setting the number of days "spam"
is aged prior to auto deletion.  For more complete information and to
set your personal options see
<http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/email/nospam/>

--
Joanne Hallisey
Sr. Project Manager
MIT - Information Services and Technology
617-253-1894