Subject: [Wocky] Draft install docs, version pages and PFDs

From: Heather Anne Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:01:36 -0400

Hi All,

Here are the docs

Gaim:

Install - http://itinfo.mit.edu/article.php?id=8120
PFD - http://itinfo.mit.edu/product.php?name=gaim
Version Page - http://itinfo.mit.edu/product.php?vid=703

Adium X:

Install - http://itinfo.mit.edu/article.php?id=8119
and http://itinfo.mit.edu/article.php?id=8118
PFD - http://itinfo.mit.edu/product.php?name=adiumx
Version Page - http://itinfo.mit.edu/product.php?vid=704

Please review and let me know if you have any feedback.

Thanks!

Heather Anne
[email-masked]

---

From: William Cattey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:32:08 -0400

I have given a cursory read of the Gaim for Windows docs, and they  
seem fine to me (but someone more intimately familiar with Windows  
ways should  go over them carefully.)

I've gone over the Adium X documents and have a couple suggestions:

1. typo:  The version page reused text from the Gaim page.  Change:
"IS&T does not support using Gaim with external systems."
to
"IS&T does not support using Adium X with external systems."

2. Should the First Time Install directions cross link to the upgrade  
instructions?Maybe change:

The following instructions are for a clean install, that is, Adium X  
has never been installed on this computer.

to:

The following instructions are for a clean install, that is, Adium X  
has never been installed on this computer.  If you are doing an  
upgrade, use the <link> upgrade instructions</link>

3. Should the Upgrade directions cross link to the first time  
instructions?
Maybe change:

The following instructions are for an upgrade, that is, an older  
version of Adium X has been installed on this computer.

to:

The following instructions are for an upgrade, that is, an older  
version of Adium X has been installed on this computer.  If you are  
installing Adium X for the first time, follow the <link> instructions  
for first-time installation </link>.

I make the two suggestions above with the recognition that cross  
linking may not be a good idea, and leave it up to those taking care  
of the docs to decide if they want to cope with the added maintenance  
work.

4. We discussed how, if you're using the MIT installer to do an  
upgrade to a non-MIT installer, it does not go looking for the non- 
MIT version. It just installs.  I suggest adding the following  
additional prose to the upgrade installer.

The MIT installer puts Adium X in a different place than the  
installer provided from the Adium X web site.  If you are switching  
from theirs to the MIT version, you should remove the Adium X  
application by hand, and follow the instructions for a First Time  
install.

Hope this review is helpful,

-wdc

---

From: Atticus Gifford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:30:12 -0400

Hi Heather Anne,

The documentation looks great.  Bill covered everything I noticed,  
except for one thing.  Once we release this at the end of the month,  
the product will be fully supported by the Help Desk and the pilot  
project is no more.  We also need to revise the pilot project page  
before then, I can't remember if you said you could do that or not.

Thanks,
Atticus

On Jun 13, 2006, at 4:32 PM, William Cattey wrote:

> 2. Should the First Time Install directions cross link to the  
> upgrade instructions?Maybe change:
>
> The following instructions are for a clean install, that is, Adium  
> X has never been installed on this computer.
>
> to:
>
> The following instructions are for a clean install, that is, Adium  
> X has never been installed on this computer.  If you are doing an  
> installing Adium X for the first time, follow the <link>  
> instructions for first-time installation </link>.
>
> linking may not be a good idea, and leave it up to those taking  
> care of the docs to decide if they want to cope with the added  
> maintenance work.
>

---

From: Heather Anne Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:56:20 -0400

I can do the updates, but I've heard many conflicting reports on
when the support status changes.  Can we make sure we're all on
the same page with that since I'm already confused?

I thought we were staying pilot past the release with the support
avenue being the wocky list, then changing over later to the
helpdesk support.  Now it sounds like we're changing the pilot
status upon go-live, but what about the support?

I suspect I got the items tied in my head when they're actually
separate.  So, upon go-live are we pilot or proiduction service?
Is the support via wocky list or helpdesk?

Thanks!

Heather Anne
[email-masked]

Quoting Atticus Gifford <[email-masked]>:

>> 3. Should the Upgrade directions cross link to the first time  instructions?
>> Maybe change:
>>

---

From: Atticus O Gifford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:32:02 -0400

Sorry, I know it's been confusing.  We're going to go live on Thursday 
the 29th
since that's the last day in the month that doesn't lead right into a 
weekend. The product will be fully supported by the held desk, but they 
can send any and
all cases to the wocky (wabe? wocky-release?) list if they are busy with other
things.  Mark offered to be the point person on the help desk for those
communications, but I think it would also be fine if consultants contacted the
list directly should Mark get overwhelmed.  We won't make a big announcement
about support availability until the help desk is back on their feet.  We
haven't set a time limit on this support channel, but I think we've mentioned
several weeks as a general timeframe.  If the Help Desk gets an overwhelming
number of calls, then we can evaluate a more direct support solution, but I
don't think anyone on either side of the fence is worried that that's going to
happen.

If that isn't clear let me know and I'll try to answer any questions.

Thanks for your patience,
atticus

---

From: Joanne Hallisey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:37:54 -0400

When we met with Mark VanDyke, he confirmed that we could announce  
support and that if they got overrun, he would pass cases on to  
[email-masked].

I think that we are OK doing the usual thing for the web pages.  We  
will not be doing an announcement until later in the summer so that  
will minimize calls.

Joanne
--------------------------------------------
Joanne Hallisey
IS&T
W91-205d
3-1894
[email-masked]

On Jun 14, 2006, at 5:56 PM, Heather Anne Harrison wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Wocky mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky

---

From: Heather Anne Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:22:45 -0400

I think I understand much better now.  Should I remove all the
notes to contact [email-masked] from the version pages, install
docs and the service page?

Once that's decided, I'll update the version pages/install docs
and do a draft of the updated service page so they can be
reviewed.

Heather Anne
[email-masked]

---

From: Heather Anne Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:38:04 -0400

> "IS&T does not support using Adium X with external systems."

Oops!  Update requested.

> upgrade, use the <link> upgrade instructions</link>

Done.

>  for first-time installation </link>.

Done.

> application by hand, and follow the instructions for a First Time  

Added.

> Hope this review is helpful,

Very much so.  Thanks!

Heather Anne
[email-masked]