Subject: [Wocky] Trying to connect to Jabber from iChat

From: "Roger A. Roach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:52:55 -0400

I was configuring iChat for Jabber and used the port setting in the  
web page (5222) and got an unexpected SSL error.  I switch over to  
the default port (5223) and it worked.  Just thought someone should  
know.

Roger

---

From: Mark Silis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:15:08 -0400

For ssl try port 5223

-- Mark

On Sep 5, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Roger A. Roach wrote:

> <Picture 1.png>
> _______________________________________________
> Wocky mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:31:43 -0400

iChat does not currently support new-style TLS negotiation, so you  
have to use port 5223 to use its "Connect using SSL" option which  
uses old-style SSL.  Clients with more modern Jabber connection code,  
like Gaim and Adium, can do TLS over port 5222.

The iChat instructions on http://itinfo.mit.edu/answer.php?id=8061  
appear to be correct, but I'm not sure if it's easy to find them.   
I'm guessing you adapted your iChat setup from the instructions for  
Adium.

---

From: "Roger A. Roach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:57:25 -0400

Thanks for the info.  I did not know about the instructions for  
configuring iChat.  I used the main jabber page:
http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/messaging/jabber.html
A link on that page to the FAQ (or whatever it is called), would be  
useful.  I was already using iChat so I felt that was better than  
downloading something like Adium X and keeping it up to date.

Roger

On Sep 5, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Greg Hudson wrote:

> uses old-style SSL.  Clients with more modern Jabber connection  
> code, like Gaim and Adium, can do TLS over port 5222.
>

---

From: Heather Anne Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 13:47:30 -0400

I'm currently working with the web production team to add that
link.  It should be there later today.

Heather Anne Harrison
Technical Writer
Information Services and Technology (IS&T)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Room W92-152
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 253-8969
[email-masked]