Subject: [Wocky] Source repository for jabberd

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:18:27 -0400

Last week, I created a Subversion repository for jabberd at
/afs/dev.mit.edu/project/jabber/repos/jabberd.  So far I've imported
stock jabberd 2.0s4, incorporated Mark's changes as commits, and fixed
a small bug.  I've been able to use the test server to build the code
and test my fix.

If people would like, it would be easy to set up an Athena mailing
list to receive commit email messages for these repositories.  But I
won't do the work if no one would subscribe to the list.

On my short-term task list:

  * Create a similar repository for JCR, which is a separate package
    containing the chatroom functionality (called "mu-conference").

  * Write down some notes on how to build jabberd and JCR.

  * Address an issue where building and reinstalling jabberd breaks
    the mu-conference startup.

  * Fix the gaim client bug affecting chatroom configuration
    (unrelated, but easier to do with the servers in their current
    state).

  * Hack the JCR code to present a slightly smaller chatroom
    configuration message, for the sake of broken gaim clients.  Test
    that change and get Mark to put it in production.

  * Import jabberd 2.0s10 (which has SASL authentication support) and
    merge the current local changes with it.  Install the resulting
    code on the test server.

  * Grab Simon Wilkinson's gaim patches, figure out how to build gaim
    with SASL support on Athena, and test Kerberos authentication
    against 2.0s10 the test server.

  * Get 2.0s10 into production.  (I don't think we need a
    comprehensive testing plan for server upgrades while we're in a
    pilot phase with low usage, but that's something to think about
    for the future.)