Subject: [Wocky] configuration settings for jabber clients

From: Jonathan McIndoe Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:48:26 -0400

Do we have the settings, like name and port number to configure GAIM 
and test iChat?

Thanks,
Jon

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:41:07 -0400

> Do we have the settings, like name and port number to configure GAIM 

(Looks like they spell it Gaim, not GAIM.)

The server name is jabber.mit.edu.  The port number is 5222, which is
the standard Jabber port.

The domain part of the Jabber IDs is mit.edu.  The way this looks in
gaim is that the "Server" is mit.edu and the "Connect Server" (under
"Show More Options") is jabber.mit.edu.  A client with SRV lookup
support can just use the mit.edu SRV record to find the server.  Gaim
doesn't have this support; I don't know if iChat and Adium X do.

---

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:11:57 -0400

Thanks Greg.

On Windows I am able to use Exodus, using this configuration information.
BTW, Mark mentioned that if someone has to use "force old SSL" then port
5223 should be used by that client. 

I am having a problem when using Gaim on Windows. The authentication hangs.
On Exodus, I saw the dialog box that complained that the certificate of the
server didn't match the name of the host. I told it to always use that
certificate anyways. I am not seeing a similar dialog box on Windows. I
wonder if it is waiting for me to confirm the certificate, but doesn't have
a way for me to confirm it? Was there anything that you had to do with the
configuration on Athena to deal with the certificate of the server?

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Greg
Hudson
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 5:41 PM
To: Jonathan McIndoe Hunt
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Wocky] configuration settings for jabber clients

_______________________________________________
Wocky mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky

---

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:34:56 -0400

I figured out what was causing the hang during authentication when using
Gaim on Windows. When setting up the account profile I was using the
"register" button as a way of saving and authenticating. When I used the
save button, and then chose "login" the authentication completed. 

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Paul
B. Hill
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 6:12 PM
To: 'Greg Hudson'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Wocky] configuration settings for jabber clients

Thanks Greg.

Paul

---

From: Jonathan Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:13:03 -0400

Just for kicks, I tried this in iChat (3.0.1 v 392 that ships with 
Tiger).  iChat does not appear to have SRV record  support - looking 
at the wire, I don't even see it attempting an SRV lookup.  Also, 
interestingly enough, in iChat, if I choose SSL, it sets the port to 
5223, however it then insists that I'm connecting to Jabber in an 
insecure way and that my password is exposed on the network.  tcpdump 
and ethereal disagree with this statement, and admittedly I find it 
confusing that iChat would say that when "SSL" is checked in the 
options (and indeed it is using SSL, I can see the certificate being 
exchanged over the wire).  I thought perhaps it was because I did not 
have the MIT CA in my Keychain,  but I added that and it still gives 
that error.

-Jon

-- 
-------------------
Jonathan Reed

[email-masked]
-------------------

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:43:51 -0400

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 00:13 -0400, Jonathan Reed wrote:
> insecure way and that my password is exposed on the network.

It might be the server spitting out this error.  Gaim has a wonderful
debug option which lets you figure these things out; I assume iChat
probably does not.

---

From: Jonathan Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:59:08 -0400

>debug option which lets you figure these things out; I assume iChat

That sounds right, actually.  At least, I cannot find that message in 
any of the localizable resources in the application bundle, unless 
Apple chose not to localize that one error message.

Do we know why the server does that?  Along those lines, what server 
are we using, so that I may UTSL?  Or is there not a readable copy of 
the code we're using (including any local patches)?

-Jon

-- 
-------------------
Jonathan Reed

[email-masked]
-------------------

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:38:07 -0400

> the code we're using (including any local patches)?

Well, it would suggest a bug or a misconfiguration.  I'm still owed a
pointer to the server source and local patches so I can better look into
this sort of thing (and set up a repository, and start integrating SASL
support).

Ideally, though, iChat would be properly negotiating SSL over port 5222,
not using old-style SSL over port 5223.  It doesn't sound like it has
support for that, though.