Subject: [Wocky] Meeting Notes: Jabber - Dec. 28. 2005

From: Joanne Hallisey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:49:07 -0500

Jabber
Meeting Notes
December 28, 2006

Recommendation to Theresa for next steps on Jabber.

There are few things that would make the adoption of Jabber less  
successful.  The lack of single sign on support for an MIT local  
service would lead some Athena users to resist.  Another issue is  
that Gaim does not seem to request authorization when you  
reciprocally add a buddy.  Greg will be investigating this, but it is  
not a show stopper.

We have also noticed since the pilot user group is somewhat small,   
not many people are using Jabber after initial experiences.

There needs to be more testing of the group chat functionality.

There needs to be a better understanding of the server to server  
functionality.

The project will continue in pilot.

By the end of January the team would like to begin work on support  
and service plans.
Some tasks that will prepare for this follow:
- Do a focus group during IAP to get moere community feedback -  
Joanne will talk to Training and IS&T Comm Teams.

- Establish a Support Plan
	- Talk to training and Pubs
		- Create Quick Start training for users
		- FAQs, and Self Help documentation
	- Training for Computing Help Desk

- Establish a Service Plan
	- Server maintenance plan - talk to Mark
	- Determine change processes

- Develop Communication Plan

Greg also looked into web solutions>
- There is a jwchat  for Ajax solution - uses http polling or binding  
- possible to modify this to use certificates - need to look into  
this possibility

A better solution may be:
- jabber applet - because it is written in java could not have  
Kerberos support - need to use passwork over ssl
Greg will set up and test to see if this is a viable solution.  We  
will need to determine how to introduce this. (I would suggest asking  
one of the interested groups to be a tester)

--------------------------------------------
Joanne Hallisey
IS&T
W92-153
3-1894
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------
Joanne Hallisey
Sr. Project Manager
Information Services and Technology
W92-153
617-253-1894
[email-masked]

---

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:08:12 -0500

>one of the interested groups to be a tester)

Actually Java applets can use Kerberos and GSS. GSS/Kerberos support was
first added in 1.3 although there were a number of issues in the older
implementations. SASL support was first added in 1.4. There was a big
improvement from JDK 1.4 to 1.5. It is already possible to create a single
sign-on Java applet when the ticket cache is file based when using 1.5. With
1.6, a number of improvements are being made. On Windows Vista with 1.6 and
KfW installed the ability to have single sign-on while using the in memory
ticket cache will be possible. 

Paul