Subject: [Wocky] Draft note to Jabber piloteers

From: "Joanne M. Hallisey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:41:27 -0400

Hello,

Here is my draft note to the community inviting them to participate 
in the project. I have some edits from Greg.  Please let me know if 
you see other editable content.  In particular, I had started to put 
a note about using iChat, but deleted it.  Is there anything that is 
appropriate for this invitation, or should we keep that information 
on the Web pages?

Please let me know if there are particular email lists that this 
should target.  I know of IT Partners, but think we out to include a 
student list.  As soon as I hear that the Web pages are published I 
will send this out.

Thanks,
Joanne

-------------
Hello,

IS&T invites you to participate in a pilot of a Jabber Instant 
Messaging service.   Jabber is an instant messaging system that 
allows MIT users to communicate with one another and Jabber users 
elsewhere on the Internet. Jabber also supports creation and joining 
of chat rooms for group communication. Additionally, many Jabber 
clients also offer support for other instant messaging systems such 
as AIM (AOL) and YIM (Yahoo).

The intention of the pilot is to learn more about requirements for 
providing this as an enterprise messaging service and understand some 
of the support and service issues.  The pilot will focus on setting 
up the server environment and delivering installers for GAIM and 
AdiumX (clients for Linux, Macintosh and Windows).

This team effort is a first attempt at providing this messaging 
service.   Limited best effort support is provided by the project 
team and pilot participants are strongly encouraged to provide 
feedback. As the pilot progresses, we will send updates and post them 
to the web pages listed below.  A more formal release effort will 
begin if the pilot is successful.

The following draft web pages provide download information, 
configuration instructions and information about know issues.

Jabber Service Page
http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/messaging/jabber.html

Jabber Stock Answer Branch
http://itinfo.mit.edu/answer.php?id=7916

Please note:
As always, protect your password.  Do not allow the client program to 
store your password.

For questions or more information please contact the team at [email-masked].

Thank you.
For the Jabber Team,

-- 
Joanne Hallisey
Sr. Project Manager
MIT - Information Services and Technology
617-253-1894