Subject: [Wocky] gaim in the Athena release

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:41:59 -0400

I have finished putting gaim into the Athena 9.4 release (for alpha
and beta machines currently; it will follow for early machines in a
few days).  I settled on version 1.4.0, which is the most recent
version at the moment.

Since users running gaim will be nudged in the direction of a Jabber
service which has only pilot support, I think we need a short web page
which describes the current level of support and who to contact
(i.e. us) with feedback.  We can point people to this page via the
Athena release notes, the Athena consultants, and the SWRT software
release page when we have an installer ready.  Also, I notice that
http://web.mit.edu/ist/start/communicating/index.html refers to
Zephyr, and should probably refer to this new web page as well.

I envision this page as becoming analagous to
http://web.mit.edu/ist/topics/email/index.html, so perhaps it should
live in the analagous place: ist/topics/jabber/index.html.

Does that sound reasonable to people?  If I draft some initial text
for the page, can Heather edit and format it and put it up in the
appropriate place?

---

From: Heather Anne Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:17:54 -0400

I think I own all the pages you've referenced.  updates will be
no problem.

However, I think a service style page might be better than a
topic page.  Topic pages are extremely limited in the amount of
text we can put on them.  They're also supposed to be for broad
topcis that cover a range of products/services.

Here's an example of a service page:
http://web.mit.edu/ist/topics/linux/rhn.html

As for where it would live, I suspect something like
/mit/ist/services/jabber/ might make sense.

Heather Anne
[email-masked]

Quoting Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>:

> _______________________________________________
> Wocky mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/wocky
>

---

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:50:18 -0400

Hi Heather,

I agree that a service style page makes sense.

BTW, I note that two existing IS&T pages already make a passing reference to
the Gaim client and jabber:

http://web.mit.edu/answers/zephyr/zephyr_non_mit.html 

http://web.mit.edu/acs/www/communication.html

These should be up dated as well.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Heather Anne Harrison
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 4:18 PM
To: Greg Hudson
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Wocky] gaim in the Athena release

Heather Anne
[email-masked]