[Tango-L] About Reddit tango discussion

Kace Tango robot-tango-l at tangoeast.com
Fri Mar 18 21:06:15 EDT 2016

Hi List,

It was fantastic that this discussion list was given a new lease of life
last year
(kudos to Shahrukh).

But level of activity seems to have fallen way down in the past few months.
Even organisers seem to have stopped posting announcements.

What took the air out of this list, in my opinion, is that nobody is
asking interesting
questions anymore.

Why?
-- Probably because newbies entering the scene do not know about this
forum,
-- Most of the oldies already knew the answers for everything they wish
to know.

(Of course there are still many new questions being asked, but mostly
these live
in Facebook or live chats or other ephemeral medium).

Without fresh questions to launch discussions, this list is not getting
the kind of
vigorous and diverse information sharing that used to generate fantastic
mega-threads and make this list an essential daily reading and worthy of
being archived for future referencing.

With that context in mind, I like to introduce the Reddit website --
tagged "the front page of the Internet" -- with 140million monthly readers.
(Full disclosure: I am a moderator on Reddit's /r/tango community)

The tango forum (http://reddit.com/r/tango) is still a tiny group of
less than 1000
readers, but most of them are newbies and therefore have many questions.
In the past month, these questions were discussed:

= Very stressed at tango
= Beginner try dancing outside of classes, very crowded, what to do
= How to find inexpensive lessons
= Do both partners need to know tango
= Where to buy tango shoes

The Reddit software allows anonymous posting, and all posts are voted by
the
community to bubble the most interesting topics to the first page of the
"hot" list,
and drop the mundane ones to the later pages. Non-registered
members can read but cannot post or vote.

Each week we plug link headlines from various news publications, blogs,
youtubes,
media releases and crowdfunding projects that are connected to Tango.
I'm hoping for more posts about history, culture and the growth  of the
world scene,
topics that can make big differences.

I would be most excited to have you visit from time to time, and
contribute your
nuggets of wisdom.

Kace