[Tango-L] Not dancing with the music

robert-b missinglink at cloud9.net
Sat May 30 11:34:08 EDT 2015

Leaders don’t dance to the music because they never learned in the first place. And many who should know better ignore the phrasing of the music to better showcase their “moves.” I see this constantly, especially with some of the younger dancers influenced by “nuevo” (however you want to define it). I don’t think anyone has been taught to deliberately ignore the music—that would be perverse—but they haven’t studied it enough or lived with it enough to follow its natural flow. And many don’t seem to care all that much. Women are complicit in this game, by the way. Not all women are opposed to this sort of approach to tango, and there is an equally large number of women who prefer to be “showcased” in this way than to follow a song’s natural rhythms (this purely from general observation).

I’m 100% in agreement with Felicity, but would add “sense of musicality” to the list. Unfortunately, not all women are in agreement with her.

Robert B.