[Tango-L] Not dancing with the music

Felicity Graham graham.felicity at gmail.com
Sun May 24 16:14:10 EDT 2015

I really don't care about the figures or sequences a guy leads.  I care
first of all that the guy stays in the line of dance and is safe, second,
that he dances the music, isn't forceful and has a nice embrace. Those
things alone knock the potential partners down to probably under 10%
depending on the milonga. Some figures where the woman is given no choice I
dislike so much I don't do them.  When I see women who I think dance well &
who I like to dance with I find they care most about music and embrace and
fun.  I know, because some of them accept my invitations by look and I
don't have any figures that I know of because I didn't learn the other role
in class.  I don't think figures and technique are the same thing. I've
never actually had a persuasive explanation about what people think
technique is as something you really have to learn in class.

- Felicity, Perth, Scotland.