[Tango-L] Women's power in tango

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Sat Jun 13 07:57:33 EDT 2015

What a nice post, reminiscent of the some of the articulate and
expressive posts of Tango-L's own "golden age"! A model post, really, in
how even your disagreements with what others write are respectfully
presented without losing any of their force. Please write more! :-) And
feel free to copy your "Why I don't need saving" post onto the list as
well; it would be interesting to see the range of opinions and reasons.

The main reason I find for women or men not getting to dance as much as
they would like is the simplest of them all: demand and supply (aka
gender balance in a milonga setting). And just like in the non-tango
world, demand and supply forces can be modulated to some extent in the
same way that it is in the commercial world: E.g.,
   - having a better quality product (however you define it)
   - marketing the better qualities that your mixed-quality product has
   - excellent marketing of a poor-quality product
etc. etc. (though the metaphor breaks down with "volume discounts" which
doesn't really transfer over to Tango :-)).

Referring to the article you mentioned where the French guy was
proposing symmetry in men and women being "allowed" to ask the other to
dance: in terms of my own preference, I have no interest in being asked
*directly* to dance by a woman (with the usual exceptions of those who
know me well enough to do so, and I have no problem with the occasional
"ladies' choice" tanda that some milongas have). But women have all
sorts of ways of asking without having to ask directly, so they are
hardly disempowered. Vive la différence! as far as I'm
concerned--androgynous tango holds little interest for me.

Shahrukh