[Tango-L] The Rules

Michael tangomaniac at optimum.net
Tue Apr 21 15:08:30 EDT 2015

Trini:

You were an important contributor to the List "back in the day." Your
situation compels a discussion about the rules.

I don't know if the rules were created to regulate traffic or a
technological issue, i.e. how many postings you can shove through a server.
I now realize that the rules were "automatic" moderation. Shahrukh must have
been overwhelmed with monitoring the traffic, like guiding airplanes into
and out of a very busy airport. (I think there were auxiliary moderators but
I'm not sure.) The rules also prevented too many flames from the same
poster.

Is it possible to wipe the slate clean for everybody and take a fresh look
at the rules? I belong to a dance forum where there is NO limit on the
postings to a bulletin board. The major difference is the bulletin board has
multiple threads and you can follow certain threads. (The forum sends an
alert when somebody has posted to the thread you're following.) You can't
set up Tango L to only receive messages on threads you want to follow. But
then, it's understood this is a list.

Before the rules are changed and the floodgates opened, we need to discuss
moderation and who volunteers to be a moderator. It can't fall completely on
Shahrukh's shoulders.

There will always be listers who will abuse the rules. Shahrukh wrote in an
earlier message (which I can't find) that .5% (I hope I remembered the
correct percentage) of the listers were the flamers. So we should shut down
the list because of .5% of the list?

I understand rules have their value. But blindly following rules that may no
longer be applicable isn't a good idea.

Michael

Came home to New York where the Argentine Tango is better