[Tango-L] 3 alarm fire

Dwain Edwards stolenfire at fix.net
Tue Apr 14 21:38:17 EDT 2015

I live in a quite beautiful small city (or large town, depending on
one's perspective) with a fairly active tango community. For me, one of
the highlights of the week is going to the Madonna Inn for the Sunday
evening practica. The venue is perhaps a little over the top, but the
dance floor is reasonably large, and reasonably well kept. It is a
tourist attraction, so during the 105 minutes (or so) that we may
dance, many people stop by. Standing by the bar while a couple of
milongas were playing (not my favorite dance, so I use that time to
rest, buy coffee, restroom, whatever), a young boy, about 6 years old,
said to his grandmother, "Grannma, those people are dancing to 'mickey
mouse' music." I couldn't help but laugh. (I believe the song was
"Reliquias Porteñas", by Canaro, but I could be wrong.) Anyway, I think
there are several responses that could come to mind regarding the boy's
observation: He just an American boy without any cultural history,
unable to appreciate the depth and texture, the foundation of the
music. It would be no different if he was to hear "Un Bel Di", sung by
Caballe, and due to the cultural "shallowness" of youth, remarks,
"Those people are listening to yucky music". Then again, another view
could be taken that "truth" comes out of the mouth of babes; that the
Emperor has no clothes.

So, why bring this up? Besides the fact that I didn't know how to post
to tango-l, I chose to not investigate how to post (or at least attempt
a post), because of the (what I perceived to be) ruthless flames.
Posting what this boy said would have unleashed (as Michael just put
it) a 3 alarm fire - which I think is sad. Anyway....

Light Love Passion Compassion,

Dwain