[Tango-L] Tango Survey ERRATA: Missing comments on "Should Tango-L continue"

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Sat Apr 11 09:46:45 EDT 2015

Owing to the way the survey summary is presented (they are paginated in
a non-obvious-to-me way), I missed several written comments on two
previous questions. So here they are:

 From the email on 8 April 2015:

On the question, "Should Tango-L continue? Why or Why not?" (to which
70% had replies "Yes") there were numerous additional missing written
comments:

SHOULD CONTINUE
- There is nothing else that comes close to replacing it
- It's a great way to stay connected to other dancers.
- some very interesting posts
- because it 'always' has been there ... killing it would be a shame!
- There is a resurgence of Tango in some areas and it might be helpful
for those newer students to participate
- it was usually pretty interesting
- Found it valuable and interesting often in earlier dancing days.
- sense of community in case of a need
- It is an important link that connects dancers all over the world.
- Interesting thoughts!
- Don't know any comparable forum.
- It is a unique resource. It might not be as important as in the
earlier days due to other formats but it still fills a need.
- There doesn't seem to be any other outlet at this point.
- It's helped me when I travel. Great advice is shared.
- i still meet dancers for the first time who remember arguing with me
on the list
- If the moderation can be consistent. I don't have a problem with rude
arguments, but however you decide it's going to be, stick with it.
- Additional forum
- to exchange opinion, news, videos, etc.
- If there is no cost to anyone, and someone is OK about being admin,
then why not?
- because it is the most intelligent discussion around
- Future generations of tango dancers, but it may need a different form.

SHOULDN'T CONTINUE
- Facebook groups is what I do mostly now
- Regretfully, I think, based on the few postings, that it has lived its
life.
- realistically, I think it has been replaced by Facebook
- Doesn't seem like there is the interest/there are other options
- Its time has passed.
- I've been on the list since 1996. It has outlived its self.
- Alternative medium to Facebook, etc.
- other formats work? Facebook,local lists
- posters have moved elsewhere
- obsolete, replaced by social media
- outlived 'state-of-art' functionality and purpose
- Probably not, given lack of posts

which were in addition to those below (previously posted).

> SHOULD CONTINUE
> - I miss it
> - It helps me keep up my interest
> - Because I'm not on Fadcebook [sic] and similar things.
> - Read sometimes interesting postings
> - I love discussions on tango
> - I was one of those people that thought for a while that Tango-L should just die a quiet, if very sad, death. However, I could not bring myself to delete all the mails, nor to actually unsubscribe. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, Tango-L occupies a special place. And I can't let go.
>
> SHOULDN'T CONTINUE
> - no traffic
> - platforms have shifted a while ago
> - Interest seems to be lacking.
> - List serves such as Tango-L are a relic of the past.

On the question "Why don't you post to Tango-L yourself?"

there were only two missing comments:

- I'm mostly on Facebook now.
- Don't get notices anymore; had problems getting occasional posts to go
through.

Shahrukh

P.S. One more survey results post coming up, on the General comments.