[Tango-L] keep list going/NYC milongas

Jocelyn Paine jocelynpaine at gci.net
Wed Apr 8 14:22:27 EDT 2015

OK, I can’t remember EVER posting to Tango-L, but I’ve really enjoyed reading it over the 15 years or so I’ve been lurking on the sidelines. I’ve seen such a depth of tango knowledge and intelligent analysis; it would be a pity to lose that because members are distracted by life, dancing, the world, etc.

It seems there’s a phase in the process of getting hooked by tango which I’ve observed, in myself and in others, where we’re very verbal, very observational, want to chit-chat tango all the time, to the point of boring those outside our circle of abrazo. If enough years go by, this  tight focus evolves into a quieter stage of dancing without needing examination of the details, just as our feet learn to add adornos without interruption. I would vote for preserving this list, but I’m not Shahrukh putting in the work, nor MIT needing the storage space (or whatever). To laboriously continue the dance metaphor, I’m just sitting with the other women catching the occasional cabeceo that leads to a delightful few moments of pleasure.

On another subject, I’m going to be spending this month of May in New York City. I would love to connect up with other Tango-L people for tips on the best milongas, or a dance, whatever. . . . It’s been over five years since I danced there, and I no longer know the good spots!

Jocelyn

Jocelyn Paine
(907) 276-8195
PO Box 91366, Anchorage, AK, 99509