[Tango-L] The history of the 21st century tango? - PLAIN TEXT

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Mon Apr 21 22:17:29 EDT 2014

On 4/21/14 9:36 PM, jan bares wrote:
> An oversimplified explanation of the current doldrums
Yes I would agree that Salsa has become more popular with the young
people because it is far easier to learn and far easier to get dates.

But also I would add that in Buenos Aires the economy has deteriorated
so badly over the last 14 years that most people can't afford to go
dancing very much and the young people there have no jobs or money to
take lessons or go out often.

But I would also say that Nuevo didn't catch on because it is even
harder to learn than traditional and the music gets boring to dance to
after a while (longer monotonous songs) and not that much good Nuevo
music was created after the initial popularity.

~ Steve in Gainesville