[Tango-L] Legendary Milonga Niño Bien closes

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Tue Apr 9 14:41:18 EDT 2013

The almost-mythical milonga Niño Bien closed it doors last week. It used
to be one of my favourites, owing to the mix of people it attracted, the
courtesy of Luis Calvo, the organizer, and the rest of his staff (and
one of very few milongas that actually served real and good food).

However, I have to admit that I've been going there infrequently myself
in the last several months, largely because of the lack of attendance of
a critical mass of dancers, so I guess the writing's been on the wall
for some time.

I can't really speculate on the reason why--the reasons speculatively
stated in the article below are no doubt contributing factors but I
think the real reasons are rather more complex, since there are other
milongas that are thriving, and even new ones opening up.

You can read the article (in Spanish) here:

http://blogs.lanacion.com.ar/maldito-tango/sin-categoria/cierra-nino-bien-el-fin-de-epoca-dorada/

Shahrukh