[Tango-L] music and candencia

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 2 15:03:35 EDT 2013

These are just some of my musings about the candencia in the AT dance....I'm offering that; by candencia it is generally agreed that the person is dancing with the whole body..not just with the legs... and of course within the good fundamentals of the dance but not rigidly so... It has been my impression from watching several years of YT videos that seeing a male dancer move from behind him, that I can tell an Argentine from a non-Argentine dancer...anyway, this is certainly not always true but I would bet that I can score more than 50% right guessing and to a large enough number to prove that there is something significant there..... so, now I'm just speculating on what that 'something' is... and what I get is that the dancer was raised in the same culture that produced the dance and  the music. Ok a no brainer..but think about it... knowing the song and what is coming next...where the accent is ..the next dynamic move in the music... well, that's what
 gives the Argentine the edge in cadencia...and in getting all the meat on the fire when it counts...so, what can we non Arggies do to compensate a little.. to inch towards that divine movement where the music and the body are one? ... I'm proposing the listening to more and more music... putting aside time to do it... or combining it with other activities...driving?... and most relevant of all would be listening to  music with a singer..' the singer is the soul of country music' as Waylon Jennings said... and that goes for Argentine tango too..