[Tango-L] chacarera skirts

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon May 21 10:12:46 EDT 2012

well... how is chacarera related to tango ...

not in the way that it could be considered. We have to remember, what was happening with tango dance, in Buenos Aires , on the 60`s and 70`s . It was gone, except for a few places , where milongueros and milongueras gathered to have some dancing.

as a school of dance, there were many so called "Peñas" , places where people take lessons to dance, or gathered for a social encounter. Buenos Aires used to receive, and still does, many people from the provinces.

so , the santiagueños, from the province of Santiago del Estero, has their "Peñas", the tucumanos from Tucuman, their Peñas, etc..

On the early 80`s , since the tango was having some comeback, after Tango argentino at Le trottoir de Pairs, and later the boom of Tango Argentino on Broadway, some of this Peñas of folklore, introduce some tango music.

Also some pupils of folklore like Carlos Rivarola, and other young persons -like "Los Ocampo , he is a formerly dancer of El Chucaro and Norma  Viola ballet"( early 80`s) started to take for themselves tango lessons. There were no place to take lessons, such as chacarera , zamba, gato, escondido, who have their space , beside the "Peñas" , on oficial schools of fance, of the Town Hall of Buenos Aires.

The school of dance Maria Ruanova , has been promoting native dance teachers for the last 50 years, as well as other institutios, like the "Escuela Nacional de Danzas Nro 1 Nelly Ramicone", that on year 2011 after 37 years, have their own premises in a new build place , excellent place , I have been for a party celebrating this new building and collecting funds for the graduate travel of pupils.

This school of native dances mentioned, has recently also, an extension on Tango dance .

to end with, it is not the tango came first, and then appear la chacarera or la zamba, is the contrary, places for native dances like the "Peñas" were actively on the 60`s and 70`s , while the tango was fading. Then on the 80`s tango come back.

The milonga "Almagro" started at Club Almagro, on a space allowed for a "Peña" of native dances.

The Susana Tango Pial, a great milonga, is host by Peña El Pial , a long time "Peña"

on personal preferences, nothing is to be said, those who like salsa or brasilian samba besides chacarera, gato, escondido or argentine zamba.... as far as the DJ of the place, have so many music to offer... but it looks more like an end of the year ballroom this offer, with so many different , music.

alberto
buenos aires

p.s. chacarera, zamba, are dances of seduction , the use of handkerchiefs on argentine zamba, is not for wipe the perspiration or clean the nose , but to make a seduction of the woman throughout the dance, when the dance ends, both handkerchiefs are entangled

ure