[Tango-L] Buenos Aires Milonga traditions outside Buenos Aires

Tango 22 tango22 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 20:42:45 EDT 2012

On 22/05/2012, at 2:25 AM, tango-l-request at mit.edu wrote:

From: Shahrukh Merchant <shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com>

As always, thoughtful and considered comments from Shahrukh.  A few comments:

2. Use of Tandas and Cortinas.
For those who are old enough to remember the '60's (ahem), live dance music, other than "pub rock", at least in Aus., was always played in brackets (tandas), usually of three songs, with a cortina at the end of each bracket.  The tanda tradition is quite natural for us, though I have found that studio ballroom parties seem to have foregone the tradition.  it was revived by Tango and Latin.

3. Table seating.
We much prefer table seating, for the sociability, though we tend to set tables of 6, rather than the smaller settings often seen in Buenos Aires.  Neither do we escort people to tables or separate singles and couples.  People tend to sit in groups, with friends.

4. Occasional tandas of other dances.
Agree that occasional other dance music can lighten the night.  we tend to select (rock, Latin, Brazilian) on the basis of the expected crowd, but if nobody is dancing, cut the alternative as a cortina.

5. Cabeceo.
Traditionally, we used, and still do, eye-contact as you approach the lady.  I find entering the dance floor an  interesting contrast.  From what I understand, in Buenos Aires, (maybe a bit generalised) the man would stand on the edge of the floor, waiting for the lady.  She will take the embrace with her back to the tables.  From here, the couple can enter the dance without disrupting the flow.  Perhaps this has been replaced by the awful habit of standing in the middle talking through half of each song.  Not sure how traditional this really is, or if the exaggerated version is a more modern phenomenon. (Never saw Tete do it).  Only dancers who want to show their "Argentine cred" tend to do it here.
In our culture, we tended to escort the lady to the floor, walking behind her to a free spot.  I feel this was a result of the tradition of live music variety, where the band leader would announce "Gentlemen, take your partners for a (foxtrot, jive etc).  Some of the dances (maybe 40%) were set pattern or progressive dances (now called New Vogue http://youtu.be/vMil_YSl8Ck) that required the dancers to assemble in a formal circle (ronda).  Once assembled, the band would play.

6. Table reservations.
Agree.  we do it on request, but it is limited.

7. Table service.
Our milongas are either in full service clubs, such as the Skypoint Milonga, (www.skypoint.com.au) or dance / community halls.  At the dance halls we provide complimentary light supper (often the regular dancers contribute.  This contribution maintains and old Aus. tradition that was called, "bring a plate").  Most of these venues are not licenced for alcohol, so the The BYO rule usually applies.  We do have a mild climate all year, so casual outdoor milongas are also popular, not unlike La Glorieta. (see www.paralosninos.net)

Enjoyed the walk down memory lane.
John