[Tango-L] "Tango" in a different way

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 11:43:19 EST 2012

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9eZdwStEhE

I've found martials arts to be terrific cross-training for tango.
There are lots of points of contact, so to speak,
between the disciplines. Anything that involves a lot of
two person exercises is good. The most informative
training, for me, was jiu jitsu, which is a form of wrestling.
It helped me understand how to be both gentle and effective.
But pretty much anything is helpful -- aikido, judo, karate,
etc. Maybe even iaido (art of drawing the sword).

I'm sorry to say it, but I see some men literally throwing
their partners around on the dance floor. When I see that
I always think they need to spend some time in the dojo
to help them get over it.

Many happy dances to you all --

Robert Dodier