[Tango-L] Tango in Sydney?

tony parkes macromagix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 05:52:42 EST 2012

hi niki,

when you look at the sydney tango website calendar, it helps to ring
beforehand the organisers listed there and let yourself be known, and
i have no doubt they will help you out when you arrive.  one of the
nicer milongas is organised by carol and martin and carol is behind
the excellent tango australia website. also try tangosynergy. but
unfortunately it is hard to recommend one particular milonga because
they all have different appeals and we all have different tastes

by the way niki, i am currently staying in berlin, and the experience
of christian at the glebe milonga is nothing compared o over here. the
locals literally do not want to know "foreigners", your only chance of
being asked up to dance is by the worst dancers who are terribly bad
!!

but i will look out for an american lady from new york when i get back
next month

good luck with it
tony

On 12 January 2012 09:27, "Christian Lüthen" <christian.luethen at gmx.net> wrote:

> G'day Sara,
>
> I went to "Glebe Milonga" when I was visiting Sydney in May 2008. In general I liked it, though that night they had a visiting teaching couple perform at the Milonga (for advertising their classes) ... and for me 3 show dances in a row are enough (but not five! =;-o). But still: I like the venue and atmosphere. Only problem I had was to get 'home' to my downtown hotel afterward. To my amazement - when I inquired with other dancers at the end of the Milonga on how to get there - they told me where the bus stop was. Not that it actually was running at that time of the night, and until this was evident. People / dancers saw me standing there but none offered me a lift into town ... So as you are from the US, Sara, where I regularly got offered lifts (at least in San Francisco, Portland and Seattle, but I presume East Coast Tango dancers are also that nice) you'd better be prepared for the worst. I took the 45 minutes walk home that night, but I am male and a fast / good walker !
>  ... as a single woman I would have not done that! But still: dancing was nice! ;-)))
>
> For the rest - and nomading Tanguero/a: do you know this great ressource on the Web called 'Go Tango worldwide' by Dutch Tanguero Rob Nuijten? Check it out at www.torito.nl ... he should have something about Sydney!
>
> Have a bumper time in Oz, plus great dances! Greetz from Rotterdam, Holland.
> Christian
>

> > Dear All,
> > I will be visiting Sydney for 10 days in March.  Would love to know where
> > to dance.
> > I am a long time dancer from New York.
> > Can anyone help?
> > Thanks!
> > Sara
>

> --
> This e-Mail is sent from my analogue brain! ;-)
>
> .

cheers
tony
www.tangomagix.com