[Tango-L] What to call the normal tango walking beat?

June Es esjune at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 28 17:56:52 EDT 2011

Jamie, As a classically trained musician, each beat I hear in tango (whether in 2/4 or 4/4 time), is the crotchet (also called the quarter note). To my ears it is equivalent to one's heart beat which can quicken or slow down depending on the circumstances.So each step on a crotchet beat is taken at a faster pace than a step taken over a minim (which is twice the duration of a crotchet, by definition).In tango or any other music, the speed of each beat can vary across compositions. And within one composition, you can also find variations in the speed of each beat such as in Pugliese's arrangements which some dancers find challenging to dance to. By the way I also found El Afronte's performances challenging to dance to, because of their interpretation and varying of pace.I hope that helps - I tried to keep this short and simple.