[Tango-L] Seminar review

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Tue Sep 27 12:43:56 EDT 2011

Back from a fabulous weekend in Boulder at the G&G Argentine Tango
Festival. Boulder is now the go-to mecca for Tango, second only to
Buenos Aires. Thursday night Cochabamba Norte Practica -guiided by
Gustavo Naveira y Giselle Anne   with Federico Naveira, Silvina Valz
Ariadna Naveira, Nick Jones Brian Dunn   Deborah Sclar in the house
collaborating, exploring. Then a three day 12+ hour seminar with G&G on
social dance for tango, milonga, and vals.  What more can I say about
Gustavo, Maestro of maestros, teacher of teachers, that I havent said
before. Its like going back to the roots, the foundation. When you learn
a concept in Tango with Gustavo, you are getting not just unique musical
and choreographic idea, but the history of who made that concept famous,
the attitude of the milongueros who danced it, and how it changed over
the years. So when you dance that concept, you feel connected in a
deeper way to the history, and to the emotion of the dance. And when
your whole dance is infused with this kind of feeling, It is no longer a
series of disconnected technical movements, it becomes a story you are
conveying through your dance. This is what Gustavo Naveira gives me:
Context, feeling, Passion for the dance. This makes him a very special
messenger for tango. Plus, their obvious love for each other and the
dance, presented in a humorous and enjoyable manner, makes the seminar
such a wonderful experience. (heads up: GyG in NYC November!). Add to
the mix incredible Boulder weather, rocky mountain clean air, friendly
people, and you have something quite magical.