[Tango-L] Review of Milonga Andariega (Buenos Aires)

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Mon Oct 3 10:59:13 EDT 2011

You may recall that in my review of the Buenos Aires Tango Mundial &
Festival a month or so ago, I had commented about Orquesta Típica
Andariega, comprising 4 European women amongst its 10+ members,
including the orchestra leader and all 3 of its bandoneonistas. (The
rather obscure and hard-to-remember name "Andariega" means something
like "one that gets around" ...)

I finally got to go to Milonga Andariega, where Orquesta Andariega
performs most Sunday nights, at Buenos Ayres Club, Peru 571, in San
Telmo (the site of a few other milongas as well).

The location has a nice cozy feel to it, with a stage at one end, a
wooden floor in reasonable condition, and a small bar. Admission was
only $15 pesos, low for any milonga these days and certainly one with an
orchestra. The orchestra played well, though lacking some of the energy
they had at the festival (admittedly a much more important and visible
gig for them).

That was pretty much the good news. As a milonga, there's not much else
going for it. There were few people, at most 15 couples on the floor at
a time and usually less. The level of dancing was fair to poor. Dancing
style was arms-length dancing for the most part, navigation was largely
"Brownian motion," i.e., mot much concept of direction (though it didn't
matter as much since the floor was not crowded) and there were at least
two couples doing things like deep dips and so forth that even Hollywood
has eliminated from its Tango scenes, so I assume the resident teacher
must be teaching stuff like that. It seems to be more of a social
hangout place for a younger crowd that's somewhat into Tango but not
really seriously into the dance.

So would I recommend it for something? Yes, if you want to listen to
good live Tango music, mostly danceable, on a Sunday night, you can't
beat the price at $15 pesos. And it is somewhat of a luxury hearing and
being able to dance to a full Orquesta Típica. (Torquato Tasso was my
go-to place for that, but they no longer have live music for their
Sunday milongas.) Note, however, that the orchestra only plays from
about 11:10 pm to 11:50 pm (notwithstanding the Tanda playlist that had
been printed out and set out on each table--nice touch anyway--that
showed 12 tandas, which should have been at least 2 hours of music), so
make sure you get there by 11 pm, since there's only about 45 minutes of
live music.

And you probably want to bring your own partner or better yet come with
a group of friends, since between the light attendance, variable quality
of dancing, and the fact that there was not much dancing or socializing
going on across groups, it's not really a place to go by yourself,
unless you just want to listen to the music.

Disclaimer: This review is based on just one visit, and one woman I
danced with did comment that attendance seemed to be lighter than usual.

Shahrukh