[Tango-L] Flat foot, heel first or toe first?

Gordon Erlebacher gerlebacher at fsu.edu
Fri May 6 08:25:22 EDT 2011

Very interesting observation Sergey. I learned this concept differently
:-).

Many of the men keep their weight slightly to the left (almost
imperceptable), and not using the right heel is one way to achieve this
(at least while we learn). While I do not (most of the time) use my left
heel,  I sometimes do. The issue is not really toe versus heel. The leg
falls under the body, and by leg, I mean the section between the hip and
the knee. The bottom part of the leg shoots forward in a relaxed mode,
and the toe or heel might hit, depending on various factors, not
normally controlled by the dancer. The man dances as if his legs were
cut off at the knees. Ultimately, it is your body that is dancing, and
not the feet. What I do not do is dance with the intention of landing on
the heel, although sometimes I do. Ultimately, it likely also depends on
body anatomy.

       Gordon