[Tango-L] Cadencia vs rock step

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Mon May 2 16:11:14 EDT 2011

On 4/28/11 3:02 AM, June Es wrote:
> On one previous visit to Buenos Aires, when I asked one of my  Argentine partners to dance with cadencia with me, he put in more body motion, I experienced more rhythmical awareness and  lilt - the lilt was on a horizontal plane and there was definitely NO bouncing up or down. The feeling was that of smooth waves of motion across steps. We did not rock forward and back over our feet. I felt more body motion through flexion of knees and that  was physically challenging because it was harder to follow - but it was a very musical and dynamic experience for me.
Yes. That is how it was taught to me by Ney Melo and Jennifer Bratt. In
my own words, I would describe it as 'slightly' more CBM (contra-body
motion) WITH/TOO the music, while still maintaining all other proper AT
posture and walking technique. (A smooth, elegant walk would be a
prerequisite of course.) It adds more sense of 'feeling' and subtle
styling to the dance. Quite nice.

More physically challenging? Yes, of course until after it has been
practiced and nicely integrated into your dance. I required a fair
amount of demonstrating/coaching from Ney and direct feedback from
Jennifer to 'get it,' and then lots of practice. (And all of that AFTER
a lot of work on my WALK.)

~ El Stevito de Gainesville