[Tango-L] What is what?

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 12:24:09 EST 2011

“Show Tango,” “Nuevo Tango,” “Tango Salon.  “

Show Tango is usually a choreographed performance. Show Tango is  performed
for an audience usually on a stage or as a special performance at  milongas.
There is no detraction of Show Tango when performed at a social  milonga
for the audience.
The detraction occurs after the performance when  the social dancing begins
and certain members of the audience try to “show  tango”. All of the
kicking jumping spinning and posing you see at a social  milonga is meant to be
performed on stage, it’s very disruptive to a social  dance.

Nuevo Tango is danced in a very open embrace it is much like show  tango
and that makes it disruptive on the social floor. The main problem is  pausing
in order to do lots of spinning and lots of high kicks endangering the
other dancers and stopping the flow of the line of dance. You can find milongas
 that cater to Nuevo.

Tango Salon is tango danced with your feet on the  floor. No kicking
jumping or posing.
It is a combination of closed and  open embrace. This is the refined polite
traditional social tango. It does not  disrupt the social floor.
The “Tango Buenos Aires Festival y Mundial de  Baile” held in Buenos Aires
each year features two styles “Show” and “Salon” Go  to Youtube  and you
can see the difference.

I hope this  helps
David

In a message dated 3/10/2011 6:12:28 A.M. Pacific  Standard Time,