[Tango-L] Getting tango lessons to the needy

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Tue Jun 28 09:54:57 EDT 2011

There are some in every community...

People who have been taking tango lessons for 2 years - 3 years - 4, 5, or
even more.  But they still don't get it.

They can't do much, because their basics are so bad. Poor walking, posture,
timing, arm leading, watching their feet.  Often caused by poor initial
training, they may be addicted to front ochos, do difficult show moves far
beyond their ability, anticipate, do moves without being led - But still
can't lead or follow a crosada.  These people may be able to be helped, but
not until they go back to the beginning.

The problem is, they have been attending classes too long, and are
embarrassed to show up at a beginning lesson.

Of course, there are two categories, the ones who know they are bad, and
those who don't know. The ones who know (or their partners know) are the
ones I am talking about here - they are the only ones with a possibility of
saving.

Despite reciting the mantra "Beginners go to Int., Int. go to advanced,
Advanced go to beginners" they just can't bring themselves to show up at a
beginner class.  There they are at advanced workshops, learning back secadas
and single axis turns.

What can teachers do for these people?   Is there a name for a lesson or
workshop which might convince them to work on their basics when all they
want is a new move?  Can we do the "spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go
down" - advertize boleos but then work mostly on walking instead? Will they
listen when they think they know that stuff already?

Related point - we recently had a guy visit our milonga who had been taking
tango lessons at a ballroom studio for several months.  He was surprised to
learn that he had basically learned nothing that was of any value at all.
Our community was so nice, so welcoming, so helpful - but also blunt enough
to tell him the truth.  I predicted that we would never see him again, and
no one would believe me.  I was right.
--
Lois Donnay
Minneapolis, MN