[Tango-L] Heads up

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:52:44 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Ruben Malan <rubenmalan at comcast.net> wrote:
> [Tango] Heads up.
>
> Thanks Sergio, good comments. Just to add a little contribution (two cents)
> I consider proper to mention a popular motto among tango dancers in Uruguay
> and Argentina regarding this issue. When somebody looks down when leading
> they commonly use to said:
>
> "Está buscando monedas."  ("He is looking for coins.")
>
> Obviously, this is a criticism, not a mere observation.

         Funny you should mention this, Ruben--I took a hustle class
last week from a guy who doesn't know a lick of either tango or
Spanish, and he said the same thing (in English, of course).   Isn't
it funny how so many concepts cross the lines to both other dances and
other cultures?

> In my view, the inelegant habit of persistent verification about where we
> put our feet it is a clear sign of beginners, insecurity, lack of
> confidence, lack of practice, a lot of practice with the wrong habit,
> or all of the above. Besides, we must remember that we need to look to where
> we want to go.

         De acuerdo, amigo.

Huck