[Tango-L] Why is it so hard to walk?

Ming Mar ming_mar at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 23:27:21 EDT 2011

Eero Olli writes:
>Some men have hard time converting the music to weight
>shift. They hear the rhythm (they can clap it) but they
>are not able to figure out where their body should be
>during the beat.

If you do a clapping exercise in a group, it doesn't mean
that these men can hear the rhythm in the music.  It only
means that they can see and hear their fellow students
clap.  A true test would be to have the students clap
individually.

>A good exercise is a slow milonga. I don't remember the
>name of the step (double step-walk?): you reach out with
>one foot, stop with a small weight on the forward foot,
>and step again one inch longer with the same foot (this is
>resembles the prolongement used in tango).

I don't know if the step you're describing has a name.  You
would use this step in milonga traspie.