[Tango-L] why is it so hard to walk

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Mon Jun 20 06:56:06 EDT 2011

On 17/06/2011 01:22, sherpal1 at aol.com wrote:
> This concept of getting the followers out of the way is the wrong
> concept to put in the lead's head...

No, it's not. Except I'd say "leading" her out of the way.
> he will step on her if he does not
> place his foot directily in front of his stationary foot.

There is an infinity of possible positions. You only
need to lead to accommodate them.

> astride the woman rather than directly towards her center line, he will
> step on her...it is not a question of getting her out of the way, it is
> a question of proper foot placement...and of course, leading with the
> soler plexis while leaving the legs slightly behind his body

Which was exactly my point. Do the lead correctly and the rest
follows. We tend to put our feet correctly in order to support
our centre of gravity instinctively anyway.

 > Men who lean back, or dance totally verticle [sic] cannot "get the
> woman out of the way"  because he is keeping her in his space.

Exactly my point again. They don't get her out of the way,
she won't get out of the way. So they should, and that's
the whole solution to the seemingly intractable problem
of  moving to a place where someone is currently standing,
which is exactly what they need to learn which they
don't need to learn while walking on their own.

The problem is that I find some men actually try to lead with
their body but will *not* step towards the lady when they're
beginners because they think it's a "forbidden zone", which
finally leads them a place where they have no choice but to
break the embrace.

> I find
> that the use of such indelicate phrases

I find 'indelicate', in this case, to be in the eye of
the beholder.