[Tango-L] Why is it so hard to walk?

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Fri Jun 17 16:10:48 EDT 2011

 <rhink2 at netscape.net> wrote:
Bob:
The primary difference between AT and ballroom is AT is a dance of
possibilities, one step at a time. Ballroom is different in that there are
prescribed steps. Women expect to begin going backwards on their right foot
in tango, waltz, rumba, quickstep, and foxtrot. In AT, the woman doesn't
know. Women who dance AT have to wait to find out if they are going to step
sideways or backwards with the right foot.

Michael
Dances ballroom, latin, and Argentine Tango

> Ballroom dancers, to my knowledge, rarely complain about difficulty
> "traveling" as they say.  They do complain about stepping on toes and
> tangled feet.
>
> Tangueros, on the other hand, do complain about walking, and it can be
> difficult.
>
> So tango dancers in effect are dancing on a balance beam.  What's more,
> they are dancing on a balance beam pushing on each other. On every step
> there is a compression and release felt in the chest.  Ballroom dancers
> experience some compression and release, but it's coming through the frame
> (i.e. the arms).  The arms can give a little to absorb the shock; the chest
> cannot.
>
> Bob
> San Francisco

I'd danced Argentine Tango- - with the Argentines