[Tango-L] Men's strategies (3)

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Fri Jun 17 09:44:09 EDT 2011

One time I met a formerly famous model/dancer/TV/Film personality (now
starting to age and wrinkle but still quite fit and attractive to an
older guy like me) at a lesson/practica on a Monday in San Telmo. She
sat with us at our table after the lesson and during the practica after
we'd had some pizza/beer/aqua, I asked her directly to dance. She said
ok. So we danced a couple dances and sat down. She was very comfortable
to dance with. She asked my friend to find out how I thought she danced.
I answered very enthusiastically that she was great. The lesson we'd had
was kind of fantasia/salon style but I just danced milonguero style with
her which pleased her. She asked if we would be going to Niño Bien on
Thursday, to which we said of course and we would see her there and I
was very excited to dance with her again. Well she came late to Niño
Bien about 1:00 a.m. and sat on the front row of the women's section
diagonal from me about 30 feet. But she looked down most of the night.
Only danced a couple dances all night and wouldn't make eye contact with
me, even when I walked right by her. Bummer. Oh well. Haha!! It's an
adventure! I still had many great dances that night. LOL!

Another strategy I had was complimenting men whose dancing I liked. The
people there were very friendly and I was introduced to so many nice
people it was easy to make friends by just being friendly and gracious.
If people see you introducing yourself, complimenting a good dancer,
being friendly, it looks good on you. Women see that you have confidence
and are not a jerk and will watch to see how you dance.

There were several groups of men and women dancers that I would see
repeatedly together at different milongas that I could not penetrate.
They seemed to be younger advanced/teachers/pros who only danced with
each other. Fine.

I did cabeceo one well known maestra from two tables away on the front
row of Niño Bien and had the dance of my life. Super fine!

I went to La Viruta on Saturday night after 3:00 a.m. when everyone gets
in free and comes there from other milongas and couldn't cabeceo anyone.
It was too dark and the floor was too crowded to dance safely and people
were jumping around like maniacs and stilettoing each other. Oh well.

I went to Ideal 3 times but it was off hours each time and didn't dance.
I went to Sunderland once late and it was all older groups and families
and just watched. Active hotspots I went to were Niño Bien on Thursdays,
La Baldoza, Porteño y Bailarin, Gricel, Lo de Celia on Sunday, Maipu 444
on Tuesdays, Salon Canning once on Friday but a bit too crowded early in
the night.

Abrazos!

El Stevito de Gainesville