[Tango-L] Men's strategies

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Jun 16 21:34:51 EDT 2011

> Sherie:
> Clearly, I didn't catch everything because it was so subtle.
>
> When I drive a car, I keep my mind on the road even if I'm playing a tango
> CD. When I dance, I only think about the woman I'm dancing with, not the
> next one I want to dance. I can't lose my focus.
>
> Abrazos,
> Michael
>

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM, <sherpal1 at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Micheal, this is wonderful, i am glad you shared it with the list....I
>> have one issue to disagree with...often in BA , the next tanda with a new
>> partner is pre arranged on the dancefloor. AS  men  are dancing with one
>> woman, they are signaling  to another women with whom they want to dance for
>> the next tanda...many of these arrangements are made ahead of time, way
>> before the cortina, while the people are dancing with other partners...very
>> interesting, sherrie
>>
>> From: Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net>

Hello Sherie:
BA milongas are not like US milongas so I'll stick to BA now.
1) Don't look like a foreigner. Argentines dance in their street shoes.
A man changing his shoes at his table is a give away that he is a
foreigner.

2) Dress nicely and don't look like a slob. Nicely is defined as tuck
your shirt in and don't wear dungarees, especially if they are worn and
torn.

3) Be patient. Observe the milonga and the social dynamics for the
first hour. Notice that everybody clears the floor during the cortina
and women aren't asked to dance before the music of the next tanda
begins. Notice the simple vocabulary.

4) Understand cabeceo before you arrive at the milonga. Find the woman
you want to dance with and look at her WITH A SMILE on your face.
Nobody wants to dance with a grumpy person.

 5) Know some Spanish because couples don't immediately start dancing
when the next tango in the tanda begins. Your partner will say
something. Be prepared.

Michael
I danced with the Argentines- - in Argentina