[Tango-L] Men's strategies

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Jun 16 20:19:49 EDT 2011

Hello Sherie:
BA milongas are not like US milongas so I'll stick to BA now.
1) Don't look like a foreigner. Argentines dance in their street shoes. A
man changing his shoes at his table is a give away that he is a foreigner.

2) Dress nicely and don't look like a slob. Nicely is defined as tuck your
shirt in and don't wear dungarees, especially if they are worn and torn.

3) Be patient. Observe the milonga and the social dynamics for the first
hour. Notice that everybody clears the floor during the cortina and women
aren't asked to dance before the music of the next tanda begins. Notice the
simple vocabulary.

4) Understand cabeceo before you arrive at the milonga. Find the woman you
want to dance with and look at her WITH A SMILE on your face. Nobody wants
to dance with a grumpy person.

 5) Know some Spanish because couples don't immediately start dancing when
the next tango in the tanda begins. Your partner will say something. Be
prepared.

Michael
I danced with the Argentines- - in Argentina