[Tango-L] Interesting Tango Listing

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Jun 14 05:54:09 EDT 2011

On 13/06/2011 22:07, Huck Kennedy wrote:
>       I agree 100% with everything Lois says above, for private
> lessons.  But not for a group lesson of strangers at a festival in
> which every student is different, and has different needs.

You have a very good point if the audience is, in fact, not
homogeneous at all.

But often all the "strangers" have many things in
common because even though they're strangers to the teacher,
they are not strangers to the others in the audience (and have
been taught by a small set of local teachers, dance to a
particular kind of music, have imitated each other's step
sequences, etc.).

I think it's just like getting presents. There is some
virtue in knowing what a present is (so that you're
not disappointed because you can't do a darn thing
with what you're getting), but there is also
a virtue in being surprised from time to time.