[Tango-L] The spread of tango

johnofbristol@tiscali.co.uk johnofbristol at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 07:06:21 EDT 2011

According to P.J.S. Richardson (History of English Ballroom Dancing,
1945), M. Camille de Rhynal and Miss Gabrielle Ray demonstrated the
tango to the London impresario Mr George Edwardes in 1907, in the hope
that he would use it in his theatre; but "whilst all agreed that there
were immense possibilities in the idea it was realized that in its form
at the moment it could not be presented to a London audience". After
some refinement in Paris, the tango appeared on the London stage in
1912, danced by Mr George Grossmith and Miss Phyllis Dare. That year
"tango teas" became fashionable with the upper-class public. There are
5 pages of highly detailed stuff in Richardson's history, and I can
send a scan if anyone is interested.

As to the tango in Finland, M.A. Numminen says in "Tango is my
Passion":

"Tango came to Finland in 1913, when a certain Danish couple performed
it in the Börsi restaurant in Helsinki. Tango had a sinful reputation.
Dancing it was lewd. Just why the couple’s tango displays were so
popular that they performed in the Börsi for several years, I can’t
imagine."

The name of the Danish couple is not given.

John Ward

Bristol, UK