[Tango-L] Tango Festivals

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Jul 29 11:27:41 EDT 2011

Different festivals meet different needs. Some festivals have famous
show couples with performances, others specialize in social tango with
great DJs, others cater to students sleeping on dorm room couches.

I like the idea that some festivals draw from across a region, while
other have a national draw where you can meet your friends from San
Francisco or New York.

The term festival might be a marketing angle or wishful thinking on
the part of the organizer. Two pairs of teachers without a cast of
nationally-known DJs is more like a "workshop weekend", even if you
have 20 out-of-town visitors. Another example, Tango Colorado puts on
a special outreach weekend with 15 or 20 Denver teachers and Saturday
milonga. Is that a festival?

It would be informative if your list had attendance figures. Depending
on the structure of the event, these numbers aren't always so cut-and-
dried. Maybe 150 people buy a full pass another 100 drop-in, and
another 50 just do one event.

On Jul 29, 2011, at 7:45 AM, Shaun Sellers wrote:

> Recently there was some discussion about which was the first tango
> festival. I have tried to compile a list of all current tango
> festivals in North America for this year:
>
>    http://www.gatewaytango.org/festivals.html
>
> If I am missing anything, please let me know. The growth seems
> remarkable. But with over 50 festivals a year, one may wonder if we
> are reaching the saturation point.
>
> shaun
>
> 2011 TANGO FESTIVALS in North America:
>
> Jan 14-17, TODOS SANTOS (Mexico) - TodosTango Festival
> Jan. 20-23, HOUSTON - Houston Tango Festival
> Jan. 28-31, ANN ARBOR - Fire and Ice
> Feb. 3-6, HONOLULU - Hawaii Tango Paradise Festival
> Feb. 9-14, PORTLAND - ValenTango

Tom Stermitz
c: 303-725-5963
http://www.tango.org