[Tango-L] Getting tango lessons to the needy

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Wed Jul 6 05:19:58 EDT 2011

On 06/07/2011 04:41, Michael wrote:
> 12+ count sequences encourages dancers to think of tango like ballroom,
 > where there's ONLY way to do a figure because it's tied to the count
 > of the music.

Which is why even when there's an advanced class and there's
a non-trivial very long sequence, I prefer to
understand the elements first and *then* to see them assembled
together (so that the harder transitions can be
learned without having to worry too much about the
elements themselves), preferably with some variants
(just to avoid getting stuck on autopilot; I really like
it when there are at least a couple of variants you can
mix so that you can be dancing them without the follower
knowing exactly what's going to happen).

Perhaps it's because I'm not advanced enough ;), but my guess
is that it's a sound teaching principle; it's not because it's
an advanced class that it needs to be harder than it needs to be.