[Tango-L] Why Argentine tango looks more like French ballet each year.

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Jul 4 13:20:40 EDT 2011

Sun, 3 Jul 2011 20:27:28 -0700 (PDT)  Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzgKZ0MWRnE&feature=related
> I have come to accept that Argentine Tango will cease to exist and
> what had been before will change and change until it is hardly recognizable..

There is stage tango, and there is salon (or social) tango.  They are
two completely different dances with the same name that share the same
roots.

They have different intentions. Stage tango is danced for the
audience, salon (or social) tango is danced for your partner.

Ballet is also a stage dance. It is not surprising that you see
similarities between the two stage dances.

Social tango didn't die in 1930, it didn't die in 1954, it is not
going to die in 2011.