[Tango-L] Getting tango lessons to the needy

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sat Jul 2 08:12:52 EDT 2011

Jack:

I think men and women have DIFFERENT definitions of advanced. Men seem to be fixated on figures so advanced means being able to lead difficult figures well. (A woman can tell if a figure is lead well, not necessarily the man.) Women aren't focused on figures as much as men. MY definition of an advanced woman is one who can interject her personality into the dance, connecting with her partner and music. Personality means adding flair and style to her dancing. For example, some women step over a man's foot like walking down the sidewalk. Others take their time, stepping over but not immediately putting their weight on that foot.

My teacher told me that one day I wouldn't need any more lessons from him. I should concentrate on developing my personal style because I knew enough figures. Milongas seem to be competitive with who can do the most difficult figures. Occasionally while sitting out a tanda, I observe women's faces. Very few look exhilarated with their eyes nailed shut. Some have a look of desperation ("I don't know what he wants.") Other's have a look of boredom. Women express their feelings with their bodies. Men should pay attention.

Michael
Going home to New York after 35+ years

  From: Jack Dylan
  I'm not really sure what constitutes an 'advanced dancer'. But, IMHO, to become one requires a lot of private lessons. After that, is there really any point in
  attending any type of group class, advanced or otherwise? One reason might be to meet famous teachers / performers with whom you can't afford private lessons. But I doubt an advanced dancer will learn much from their workshops. Unless they're just looking for a new figure or sequence. Is that it?

  Jack