[Tango-L] Melina's two cents

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Wed Jan 26 17:20:39 EST 2011

On 26/01/2011 21:41, Jack Dylan wrote:
> It's interesting how people can look at the same situation and come
> up with totally different interpretations and conclusions.
>
> Alexis thnks that foreigners have somehow 'preserved' the Tango for
> future generations. In my opinion, unless things change, foreigners
> will ensure that the Tango won't survive. At least, what  think of as
> Tango.

I'm not saying they "preserve" it. They just somehow nourish it
and act as a life support system, even though it also comes at
a cost of also spawning lots of parodies of the real thing.

Sure, there's a lot of chaff in the tourist wheat and no porteño
I meet omits to lament it, but there still is a community of
dancers from which eventually people with the heart at the
right place can emerge.

Eventually, some people *will* get it. Can't see anyone persevere
until they reach old age for the pyrotechnics of tango instead
of the "alma", to be honest.