[Tango-L] Would you buy tango music if..........

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 07:18:51 EST 2011

A friend of mine has stated that he asked the local tango group to invest in
buying tango recordings, thus quadrupling the groups tango library, so as to
give the various budding DJ’s more variety in music.  He was refused.  Money
was not a problem it seems as the group had several thousand dollars in the
bank.  The main reason why the request was refused was because the group
relied upon a couple of DJ’s who bought their own music and never charged
for their DJ services.  My friend was told he should do the same..

So I am wondering, do DJ’s around the world, including my home town of
Melbourne, buy their music just for the love of it and expect nothing in the
way of payment when called upon to DJ at a milonga?  And if you are a tango
fan/DJ, how much do you think you have spent on tango music?

I’ll go first:  I think I have spent at least US$1,8000 in the last few
years on tango music and have provide my services to a milonga/practica for
free.

Vince
In  Melbourne