[Tango-L] avoiding the volcada

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 02:06:50 EST 2011

--- On Thu, 1/13/11, Nussbaum, Martin <mnussbau at law.nyc.gov> wrote:

> Sandhill, i've had that disconcerting experience.  i learned that i can
> avoid the unintended volcada of those followers so inclined to do it
> (pun intended) if i remember to relax the embrace just a bit right
> before her forward step, to remove any implication that i might be
> supporting her weight during her forward step.

Hmm, I dunno. Seems like that could easy cause a "Yikes!
where did he go?" moment. I don't like to leave my partner ...

> Also, i try to use more contrabody in my right back step,
> a sort of concave leg direction, instead of letting her left
> leg swing out in a circular or outward direction.

Yes, I have found exactly that. It helps a lot.
It also initiates a spiral motion that's really yummy.

I also collect and sink my partner's weight into her standing
leg, and try to get the motion of the moving leg to be down,
then out, instead of just outward. At least, that's what I
tell myself I am doing. It's tricky to attribute a thought process
to some intuitive movement ... doesn't keep me from trying. 8^)