[Tango-L] Navigation (was: Using the social dance as THE model)

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Thu Jan 13 20:32:17 EST 2011

Oops, I left out a biggy.

Cutting in. Grrrrrrrr.

Anton

-----Original Message-----
From: tango-l-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:tango-l-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of
Anton Stanley
Sent: Friday, 14 January 2011 10:28 AM
To: Tango-L at mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Navigation (was: Using the social dance as THE model)

>From a recent post:	"in the video is a good example), the men start the
dance facing the
tables, with the woman with her back to the tables."

I can't say that I've noticed this as being the norm at Lo de Celia or
anywhere else in Bs As. It could be that I simple wasn't aware. But I do
think that being in a position to orientate oneself to the couple in front
and behind is crucial to a good dance. I often start with my back to the
ronda or to the tables, or the middle of the floor, as long I'm aware of my
surrounds. For me, starting with a turn beats starting with step left. The
greatest impediment to good tango, in my opinion, is overtaking. (I'm sure
most dancers at Lo de Celia would agree). Close second is couples entering
the floor without consideration of the dancers. Again in my opinion, anyone
guilty of either, except in the most extreme situations, should be banned
from the floor. They are a menace. These practices, very typical in
Australia and US and increasingly so in Bs As and I suspect elsewhere in the
world makes good tango very difficult. If you can't trust the people around
you it's just not tango!

Anton