[Tango-L] Navigation

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 09:50:59 EST 2011

Nice post, Ron.  Daniel Trenner is the only teacher I've had in recent memory to teach this navigation in beginning classes.  One teacher here has incorporated it into his beginning classes, but it's too early to tell what effect that has on those students' introduction into the community, which follows a forward mode.  We've been trying to emphasize it more in milonga with limited success.  I do believe, though, that it is one of those essential things dancers should be aware of, even if they don't use it themselves.

I've gently asked other Argentine teachers who have been around as long as Daniel, and the general response is that the direction the man faces doesn't matter, they just make adjustments as needed.

I've also noticed issues with certain vocabulary since milonguero style has become more prevalent.  Such as women having more difficulty recognizing moments to cross and anticipating ocho cortado rather than forward ochos.  Anyone else have that experience?

Trini de Pittsburgh